Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Power steering Whine

I haven't really been driving my car a whole lot lately but I noticed this past week that my power steering now has a pretty loud whine when turning the wheel at a stand still and if I'm listening for it I can hear it when the car is moving as well "hard to hear over the exhaust". I checked the fluid and it wasn't really that low but I'm going to top it off soon anyway to see if it fixes the issue.

What power steering fluid do you guys recommend and if this doesnt fix it, what should I look in to next? System has no leaks and everything under the hood is dry.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Might be from just siting for a while.

Hope the rack & pinon isn't on it's way out.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Take some fluid out of the pump and look for silver metallic flakes in it. Your rack may be on its way out.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Take some fluid out of the pump and look for silver metallic flakes in it. Your rack may be on its way out.
    Will do. I haven't priced that out. Whats the price of a rack going for these days for our cars?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can also try to refresh the fluid -- suck it down with a turkey baster or suction gun, and then refill. Start the engine, and with the front end in the air, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and then back to center. Shut off the engine, suck it down, refill and repeat a couple of times. This worked wonders on my friend's Dodge Dakota recently.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You can also try to refresh the fluid -- suck it down with a turkey baster or suction gun, and then refill. Start the engine, and with the front end in the air, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and then back to center. Shut off the engine, suck it down, refill and repeat a couple of times. This worked wonders on my friend's Dodge Dakota recently.
    Just suck it out of the reservoir? Might give this a shot too.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

If the fluid was low the rack could have a slow leak and you may never see it anywhere on the car or on the floor. Generally the seals go and they will leak into the inner tie rod boots. If the boots aren't split or cracked, they'll hold a pretty good amount of fluid in them.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If the fluid was low the rack could have a slow leak and you may never see it anywhere on the car or on the floor. Generally the seals go and they will leak into the inner tie rod boots. If the boots aren't split or cracked, they'll hold a pretty good amount of fluid in them.
    I have seen this happen too many times. You pull the boots back and you find all of your missing fluid. After 15 years of use that rack is probably beat. Not too expensive but it will take the good part of a Saturday afternoon to replace.

Black / White

Alright...going to give swapping the fluid a try this weekend and see if it gets better.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Black / White

It actually stopped on its own...odd. Wonder if it's because it's been sitting so much lately? I have been starting it but haven't driven it for weeks at a time lately. I'm going to go ahead and swap the fluid anyway tho.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If it's the original fluid, I would think so. All the contaminants could have settled to the bottom of the reservoir and caused some starvation in the pump during startup.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Thread Information