red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

power steering whine

does anyone else have a problem with powersteering whine on their cars. i did the pump on my car and i returned it like three times because they all had a slight wine. not really at idle but higher rpms. the steering works great and the system was properly blead. i dont know i guess i just have to learn to live with it. what do you guys think?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Does it do that when hitting the lock(turning the wheel all the way to right/left)?

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    does anyone else have a problem with powersteering whine on their cars. i did the pump on my car and i returned it like three times because they all had a slight wine. not really at idle but higher rpms. the steering works great and the system was properly blead. i dont know i guess i just have to learn to live with it. what do you guys think?
    So if i understand this correctly...you have had 3 new/reman pumps?
    Two things to try...
    first make sure that you have pushed the pulley ALL the way back on so that its not squeaking from the belt.
    Second...save yourself from future headaches and order a TurnOne PS pump. If you do any aggressive driving at all, its worth every penny!!
    http://www.turnone-steering.com/pumpdirectory.html

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

What kind of fluid are you using? How long has the pump been in there and is it still whining now? Are you sure it's the pump whining?

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

yes, i am possitve it is powersteering whine, deffinatly not a belt noise. it does it whenever the revs climb. the wheel doesnt even need to be turning. and i use valvoline powersteering fluid. turn one pumps sound great but i went with the reman because of price.. the whine isnt terriblly loud but it is their.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    yes, i am possitve it is powersteering whine, deffinatly not a belt noise. it does it whenever the revs climb. the wheel doesnt even need to be turning. and i use valvoline powersteering fluid. turn one pumps sound great but i went with the reman because of price.. the whine isnt terriblly loud but it is their.
    are you sure you have enough fluid???

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

I just replaced my pump with one I had rebuilt from a company called PSC. They build steering stuff for rock crawlers. They modify it the same way Turn One does, but they only charge $100 for it plus shipping both ways. Since it's underdriven it's a little harder to turn when sitting completely still and you can feel a little rumble but it doesn't bother me. Makes me feel better knowing it'll never die during autox or anything.

On a side note, I replaced my pump because I autox so I needed one anyway, and thought mine was whining. Turns out it's my waterpump (I believe) making all the noise now. It is a LOUD whine, I can hear it clearly over my LT/ORY/Magnaflow exhaust. People ask me if my car is supercharged. I never did anything about it because I thought it was just my ps pump for the last year. Just check to make sure it's not that before you buy anything. It's tough to hear exactly where it's coming from with so many moving parts.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Imho it's the reman.. Always best to buy new imho.. @ least it seems that way anymore.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

yeah i think your right about the remans. it deffinatly has enough fluid and i know it is the pump nothing else. i checked it out im 100% positive.

Thread Information