Black
    00 ss camaro

power steering problem

I was wondering what could be the problem with my power steering. When i first start the car the wheel turns fine wile parked or at a stop. After driving for around 2-5min the wheel gets hard and the power steering goes bad. It dont make that much noise like the pump went bad. Think i need a new pump? The car has 36k. Thanks

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

My car has about 65,000 and the pump pulley snapped when doing donuts and shit... my friend who has worked with chevy almost all his life says camaro pump SUCK!... go get a brand new one from the dealership... they say that 50% of the time the reman doesn't work... I don't know why but that is what they said... my friend even said soo too.. Don't go the cheap way. The new PS Pump is made better than the stock one.. Sorry is it going out soo early..

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

My Camaro Seems To Do The Same Thing Once It Is Warm. The Power Assist Seems To Disappear At Times. I Only Have 16,000 Miles And I Think It Has Done It Since New.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD
    My Camaro Seems To Do The Same Thing Once It Is Warm. The Power Assist Seems To Disappear At Times. I Only Have 16,000 Miles And I Think It Has Done It Since New.
    Does it only happen at low speeds?? Like when you're cruising around a parking lot at low RPM's?? If thats the case its probably normal, lots of cars do that. Badically the engine just isn't turning enough RPM's to spin the PS pump fast enough to keep constant boosted assist.

If you blip the throttle when you feel the assist give out, it should come right back again

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Yes, When Parking Or Moving Slowly It Is More Obvious. But My Car Is An Auto So A Throttle Blip Is Not In The Cards Without Shifting Into Neutral. I Have Had It Happen When Slowing From About 40mph To Take A Turn Without Stopping And That Is A Little Scary When The Power Assist Is Intermittant. I Just Changed The Fluid And Will See If It Helps. Thanks

Thread Information