white
    1998 camaro ss

Power steering issues

ok so first i have a 98 ss and my power steering pump was shot making the whining noise when you press the gas, so i changed that and the hydrolic line and everything was good for about a week then it starts doin the same thing again becoming hard to turn making that annoying whining sound again, someone said it could be the PS cooler but i dunno, so does anyone have any advice?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you flush out all the old fluid before installing the new pump? What kind of shape is your belt and tensioner in? If it is badly slipping that may also cause an issue when you apply pressure to the steering. Also, just because the pump is new does not mean that it isn't broken. Some of the reman pumps and stuff that you get at the parts store comes faulty, or fail soon after installation -- I can tell you this from experience.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Is the fluid full? Is the fluid milky like its mixed with coolant?

white
    1998 camaro ss

the belt is only a couple months old i replaced it when i replaced the water pump and yes i flushed all the ps fluid and yes its milky like it got mixed with the coolant thats why i thought it could be the ps cooler

Pewter
    99 z28

hmm... im having this same problem seems to be only when its cold out and i make a quick right turn. (Turning the wheel fast). uhm I have yet to check the fluid I'll do that today. My only .2cents really is that I heard bad things about the power steerin pumps for our cars.

PS: I replaced mine last year, right around this time. Would suck if its going bad again.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1998ss View Post
    the belt is only a couple months old i replaced it when i replaced the water pump and yes i flushed all the ps fluid and yes its milky like it got mixed with the coolant thats why i thought it could be the ps cooler
    I will take out the PS cooler and get a new hose without the PS option. Drain and flush all the fluid and put fresh one in it. Or get you a new PS cooler. hopefully the pump didn't went south.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

So you PS fluid was milky. The only thing it could be the PS cooler leaking. To fix the problem you need to replace your PS cooler or eliminate it as mentioned above.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Like Cutlass stated it is leaking some where in the system. It could be a bad o ring in the high pressure line, another O ring is where the reservoir and the pump meet. If either are incorrect size or broke, air will leak in and can cause it to look milky.

white
    1998 camaro ss

would there be a problem if i eliminated the ps cooler? like it would over heat?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

would there be a problem if i eliminated the ps cooler? like it would over heat?
    It will get hot but it won't affect the PS. It might whine a little bit when you try to move the wheel at a complete stop. My car never had one.

white
    1998 camaro ss

ok cool, how did u plug the 2 hose from the power steering?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You connect them together or get a hose for a car that doesn't have a ps cooler

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Just went thru this. Im not sure what cause what to fail first but i put a new ps pump on and it went out 3 weeks later. found out my cooler had fractured. I delete it, had a new ps intalled and than finally found out my rack was leaking. Now i have an all new ps system. If you want i would delete the shitty ps that came with our cars and install the after market one, they're way more efficient anyways. Our coolers heat the fluid more than cool them.

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I had my PS cooler bypassed and it runs fine,,
    The PS pump does benefit from a PS Cooler in that if the fluid gets to hot in the PS Pump it will break down the internals faster then not having a PS cooler.

I have capped my stocl PS cooler in/out ports and installed a separate fluid cooler (small radiator) in front of the main radiator and all shall be fine.

I drive my car in summer heat that gets to 110 at times so a PS pump cooler of some sort is needed, else you can remove it and it will be fine, but wont last the years.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Has anybody ever replaced the PS pump on the V6? I believe mine went out today and needs to be replaced. How labor intensive is it and what will I need?

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    Has anybody ever replaced the PS pump on the V6? I believe mine went out today and needs to be replaced. How labor intensive is it and what will I need?
    I've never done the v6 but I imagine its relatively the same. the worst part is getting the damn pulley on and off. its best to have someone help hold it or have a very sturdy bench vice.

Thread Information