White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Power Steering Hose

Well my high pressure power steering hose leaks when i make a tight turn. The part is cheap but how hard is it to replace? It doesnt leak at all driving normal or parked only when i make a hard right or left turn meaning the steering is all the way to the right or left were you cant go no more.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Is it the hose (cracked) or is it the O-ring (leaking at the connector pump side) that is leaking?

If it is coming from the connector you may just need a replacement O ring, if it is the hose then you need to replace all.

1st you will need to get a pulley extractor. Autozone rents/sells them for $10-$20.

you will need to take serpentine belt of, try to drain oil without spilling al over alternator. Remove the pulley wheel of the front of the the pump. that gives you free access to remove the pump or the hose connector. You should be able to remove the connector without taking the pump off, but it might be just easier to take the pump off the bracket. Reverse order to put everything back on.

Should only take an hour maybe hour and a half is going real slow.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

im gonna replace the complete hose. It looks like its leaking from the bottom right were the rubber hose meets the metal area and doesnt seem like its leaking from an o ring but were the rubber meets the metal or aluminum. I have a pic of it and in the pic its circled were its leaking from. It seems like it squirts out of there and on to my headers when i make a hard turn.

Last edited by karpetcm; 10-20-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I replaced my hose without pulling the pump. Took about 15 minutes- not including time for cursing and getting the bandage when I inevitably bust a knuckle on this car. Hardest part is getting the line loose (18mm line wrench)- especially the one at the Rack and Pinion which you need to remove first so you can drain the fluid without getting it on the alternator. I think I fed the new line in from the bottom but I really can't remember. I'm sure taking the pully off and moving the pump will make feeding the line in much easier, but I chose not to.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Thread Information