Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Possible Electrical Problem

Over the last two weeks every so often when i go to start my Camaro i turn the key to run all lights come on like normal then when i continue to start everything dies no clicking from the start and all electrical is dead. To resolve this I've been able to disconnect the battery then try and start it again it starts then wants to die as the revs drop off, I give it gas and keep it at 800 rpm then shut it off then start it again and its fine. I can't narrow down what would be causing this as this only happens randomly most of the time it starts up fine just every so often. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What battery are you running? I ask as some side terminal Delco batteries tend to leak/separate at the negative terminal. The terminal falls out of the battery casing and causes a no-start condition. It could be a VATS issue as well. The anti-theft could be disabling the ignition system. Have you checked your fuel pressure and grounds to see if the grounds are tight and clean?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with Rich. Could be a few different things. I'd check the things Rich listed, as they are the most common causes.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

It's a Walmart EverStart battery. Grounds look good, as I was driving today my radar detector and head unit both lost power and then returned, the dash volt meter was hovering over 13 which is lower then usual and when I have just accessory power on the dome light dims with the bass all this leading me get the battery tested and replaced if required any suggestions on brands?? I've also read up on the VATS bypass may look into do this as well or as least have the resistors ready in the car as it just seems a matter of time from what I've read.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I have a Walmart EverStart battery, I think it is the battery because today with only accessory power the dome light dims with the bass, and later in the day as i was driving i loss power to my radar detector and head unit they it came right back, the battery volt meter is hovering over 13v it usual is between the 13v - 15v markers. I'll be bring it in to get tested tomorrow anyone have any recommendations on what battery to get if it needs replacing.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have the battery checked. Some shops don't send their used old batteries back to the manufacturer. I would also look at the BCM as a possible culprit as well since your radar detector went out and came back on.

Black SS and grey Mach1
    00 SS and 04 Mach1

Does the bcm have anything to do with the cigg lighter? i don't have a wiring diagram handy to check but most of the.time there supported by a fuse block and that's it.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

It seems to have been a loose negative connection had the battery tested required a charge, seems to be running fine now. I'm curious how the battery discharged with a faulty connection but was unable to recharge off the alternator. I still created the required resistor for my key pellet just in case my vats decided to give me a hard time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what you're describing isn't a vats issue......vats disables the starter and fuel pump and that's it. What you're describing sounds like a battery, connector, or corroded wire issue.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by watman02 View Post
    Does the bcm have anything to do with the cigg lighter? i don't have a wiring diagram handy to check but most of the.time there supported by a fuse block and that's it.

The BCM does not control the cigarette lighter nor effect the cars starter.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by PrfctAffliction View Post
    It seems to have been a loose negative connection had the battery tested required a charge, seems to be running fine now. I'm curious how the battery discharged with a faulty connection but was unable to recharge off the alternator. I still created the required resistor for my key pellet just in case my vats decided to give me a hard time.
    There could be an issue with the "excite" wire on the alternator.

It's the lone wire in the black alt plug.

If the Alt. fails to excite after start up the Alt. will not charge the battery.

The engine will then run on battery only current till the battery is drained.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've had the same thing happen. Everthing running fine, turn car off go inside store come out nothing. check cables move things around, car starts up. Turn out it was a loose ground nut.

Check your grounding connection near the battery on the passenger fender. See if it is loose or corroded. Also check the cable going to it. Bad cable = bad ground.

Thread Information