Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Popping Noise when opening door??

My drivers door has started to make a popping sound every time I open it. Car has never been wreaked and the seems are gaped ok. The door opens with no binding just the loud pop. I try to move the door up and down and nothing (was thinking the hinge or bolts became loose - nope) The sound comes from the spring that is part of the door hinge. Any suggestions on how to fix? Grease?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

i'd say try greasing the hinges ... otherwise start watching your door shell/make sure the shell fits good up against the frame of the door ... that's what mine did before it snagged itself on my fender and ripped

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I agree, grease it or lube it. On my 99 z28 it would act up every few months, more when cold. When the weather was cold the car creaked, popped, groaned, and made all kinds of noise.

I know on mine the door hinge was making the popping. Like you said the door doesn't catch, no rub at the fender, etc. But man that spring can make a pretty awful pop noise. Funny though, it sounds so much like a classic Chevy though, lol...

On my 02 z28 I noticed there is a lot of what i think is lithium type of grease. No popping or noise at all. Lube 'er up man.

On my 99 i used WD-40. I didn't have anything thicker. Maybe look around the auto store and see what kinds of grease they sell.

I think the sound is a combination of the spring and the joint. I used to sit there and open/close the door staring at every moving part. But in the end, a good lube and it was happy again.

good luck

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

I grease mine with lithium grease every oil change. I used to have some GM grease just for doors. Lithium looks like poo on there but better than worn out bushings.......

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Last night i took another look at the door and the fender this time with a ruler. Drivers side is much closer (fender/door) then the passenger side. I also see that some of the paint on the edge of the door (not the outside panel, just on the edge that wraps around to the inside) has been worn off. Not much, just enough to see some rub.

How would I adjust the fender to back it off the seem?

Also I'll look into getting some of that grease. Thanks guys..

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

you may want to check the fender mounting under the car. I know when the guys at the shop forget how to jack up a car. they bend the crap out of the mounting tab under the car. sometimes when it bends it can twist enough to cause the fender to flare back shortening the gap. i had door to fender rub on my 99. it was from the fender mount being twisted and mangled.

maybe someone with fender gap experience will chime in. i thought i read on here that a twisted or stressed body can through off the body panels. I'm not a body shop guy, but I think your adjust points are under the hood along the edge, and under the car on the awful mounting bracket. the front bumper cover is also bolted to the fender inside where the turn signal lights are.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Yep - fender mounting tab. Did you recently have the car serviced? They often hit the tab with the lift if they don't know what they're doing.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

what he said. Def don't want to be rubbing on anything.

I actually grease my doors with the old motor oil every couple of changes. get some in where it needs to be, open and close the door a few times to work it in and wipe off any excess. Had a little squeek when I bought it and none since.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Could be the roller where the door stop is
    The piece that turns when you open the door gets caught sometimes and makes a noise like you're saying
    Try to grease this a little and it may help
    I recommend Fluid Film

Thread Information