Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

"Pop-starting" an LS1

So I had to jump my buddy's car the other day, and it got me to wondering about "pop" starting my Camaro. In the old days, you could just put it in first, press the clutch in, get it rolling to 5-10 mph and pop the clutch and start the car (assuming theres something left in the battery). But could this be done on my Camaro? I figure that there would be a problem with the clutch saftey switch, but figured I would ask the experts.

Thanks,
    Chris

I've seen it done a couple times, 2nd gear works better.

totalcomfort
    done it several times when I had a bad batt. 2nd is the best gear to use

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Mess up your timing?

In the "old days" they use to say it could also mess up your timing. If I had to start my Camaro and no jump box I would shove and use the clutch. Just wouldn't make it a habit as GM didn't include this as an option.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

the clutch safety switch prevents the starter from turning the motor over without the clutch being depressed, so it has no affect when popping the clutch to start the car since the starter isn't being used.

how would popping the clutch to start the car affect ignition timing?
    that makes no sense.

If you're in first, second gear (doesn't matter) and the car is rolling with the clutch pressed in then you're tranny is not connected to the motor. When you let the clutch out really fast while rolling in gear your trans acts like a starter, turning your motor over. Now you just add spark and fuel and you have a running car. A lot of electronics in newer cars might prevent you from doing this, but that's generally how a rolling start works.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Interesting Web Article

Found the article on the web: "

A lot of people ask, "What do you mean by jump-starting a car?" A very good question.

"In the days goneby, it was a common practice to start a car by pushing it. This is not recommended in cars with MPFI engines. All these engines have computer-controlled functions for various components. When you switch on the ignition, you activate the computer which in turn ‘alerts’ the engine. This is why you must switch on the ignition and wait for a few seconds before turning the starter. Some cars have an audio warning, ding, ding, ding. When the dinging sound stops, start the car. Some cars show a red light ‘no start’. It then turns green and flashes ‘start’. For all this to happen, the battery supplies the power. If the battery is ‘down’, the computer may not function. This simply means the engine is not ready to fire up.

At this stage if you push-start the car, you are not giving an opportunity to the computer to function. You could also damage some of the electronics in the car. Just as your computer has a shut-down procedure. The car, computer controlled, has a start-up procedure.
    If your car is fitted with a catalytic converter, there is a very good chance that you could also damage the exhaust system.
    Just keep in mind that the new breed of cars is not meant to be push-started."

Didn't say it was my opinion...just some more insight.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Thanks 89LX. What that said makes complete sense. Guess I'll just save my push starts when I absolutely need them.

Thanks again,
    Chris

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Like yourself I am not above doing it but only when stuck along the road....then who cares about the outcome.

Thread Information