Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help

myothercarisaambulance rigdoctormark's Avatar

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

Angry please help

Please help, sometimes at 60 to 70 mph when I pull out to pass my car stays at the same speed even if its to to floor and in a couple of seconds or so it will finally take off? what gives?

silver
    2000 camaro ss

does it do it at slower speeds also?

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

no, only 60 to 70 and above

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

auto? might be deciding whether or not to downshift. then deciding not to.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

yes its a auto, but its more like 3 or 4 secs and thats a long time for it to decide to downshift. and if thats the case i have never had a auto take that long. its more like it sticks at the speed i'm at when i pull out to pass and even when i floor it, it just stays the same speed for 3 or 4 secs and finally speeds up. i pulled around a stang gt a couple of weeks ago and was going to pass him and my car just stayed at 65 and he took off and 3 secs later mine decided to speed up and i waxed his ass. i am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagnination but i don't think its deciding not too. seems like if i floor it, it should speed up not stay the same for 3 secs or more and then go? what else could it possibly be. it never does this from a dead stop when i floor it, or from 20mph when i floor it. it only seems to happen above 60mph when i floor it? please help.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Does the engine rev when you floor it...or is it hesitating? If it's revving out the tranny could be slipping

Arctic White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rigdoctormark
    Please help, sometimes at 60 to 70 mph when I pull out to pass my car stays at the same speed even if its to to floor and in a couple of seconds or so it will finally take off? what gives?
    I had/have the same issue. Part of the issue was the a blown rear seal on the transmission. Also reset your computer and see if the problem goes away temporarly.

I know these transmissions will adjust to your driving habits. Drive around more in Drive not Overdrive and that will help. Ive also noticed that if you if you run your car hard for about 10min and get in the same situation it will downshift, but if you are in traffic or have been babying it then it will probably just stay in that gear.

Happened to me a few times causing me to just keep my foot in it longer. It seems overdrive is more of an economy gear.

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

no the engine does not rev when i gas it and it doesn't do anything, it acts like i haven't stomped it, but in a around 3 secs it finally goes on and speeds up like it should. also i have noticed it does it in drive or overdrive. and it doesn't do this all the time. maybe every 4th or 5th time it will do this, but it can be very scary when you pull out to pass someone and you get hung out to dry with another car heading your way and your car not downshifting like it should.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

try this. put your foot on the brake pedal slightly. you should here the converter unlock. as you keep your foot on the brake pedal, then floor it and see what it does.

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

thanx, i will try that next time it does it, but does that mean something is screwed up with the car or what?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

not sure yet. something isn't right, that's for sure. i'm thinking the converter isn't wanting to unlock.

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

i will definitely try that and post what happens. thanx mrr23

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Question Torque Management Issue

May be a tad off base here as I'm not as familiar with Torque Management (TQM), however from some of what I've read up on it may be a possible Torque Management issue.
    http://www.ls1camaro.net/article.php?sid=50

Did you have the Traction Control turned off?

The PCM may see the pull out and sudden flooring of the accelerator as an abusive maneuver and kick in TQM .

If the problem continues and there is no apparent explanation or fault with the tranny, traction control, or PCM. I would consider having the TQM disabled, or flashed out of the PCM.

With all due respect to mmr23,
    Originally Posted by mrr23
    try this. put your foot on the brake pedal slightly. you should here the converter unlock. as you keep your foot on the brake pedal, then floor it and see what it does.
    Unless I'm mistaken this sounds like just the type of thing that will kick in TQM. But hell it can't hurt to try. . .

Here is thread on more of the TQM stuff.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...que+Management
    Last edited by RainMan; 02-04-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Add Link

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it could very well be torque management as well. if he has ASR, it might come into play. it could also be false knock. this would pull timing. i had one guy that everytime he tried to floor it in 4th gear, it would knock like crazy. finally had him put his foot on the brake pedal to disengage the lock up. then floor it. no knock at all. so, left it as something up with the converter. a couple weeks later, he gets back to me. it was a bad cat. go figure. basically, the motor was in low rpm/high load table. the clogged cat made the load even higher. this brought on the knock. by releasing the lock up on the converter, it took some of the load away.

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

no rain man i do not have the traction control off when it does what it does. lets say it is the tqm how do you disable it or flash it out?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

no rain man i do not have the traction control off when it does what it does. lets say it is the tqm how do you disable it or flash it out?
    Apparently from what I've read it is one of the functions that can be removed, disabled, turned off etc. . by re-tuning (Flashing) the PCM.

Before you throw money down for a tune, try just turning off the traction control to see what happens. Traction control is on by default when you start your car, you have to hit the switch to turn it off.

I never use it unless it rains or the roads are wet. I have never had or noticed the problem you described in your first post either.

Do you have any Mods or is your car basically stock?

I'm not sure of pricing, but I remember reading that tunes like that can cost up to $150 or more, just to eliminate various functions. If you are set on tuning it out, get with an experienced tuner and ask their recommendations. Plus, ask around this Forum as well, lot of good info here, & maybe someone knows of a good tuner in your area.

It may be prudent to wait on a tune until you have some Mods installed, and will require a re-tune anyway.

Give the Traction control suggestion a try & let us know.

artic white
    2002 camaro ss

the traction control suggestion worked. thanx

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter. It could be clogged and work fine when your cruising but when you mash the pedal the engine is starved of fuel because the filter cannot flow enough fuel to the engine.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

the traction control suggestion worked. thanx
    Buy the module that plugs into the traction control switch and reverses its' action - after it's installed you'll start out by default with the traction control system OFF. You can then turn the traction control system ON when you want by pressing the switch; it simply reverses the switch action. SLP and RKSport have it, $50 - 70.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

glad to see it was something simple.

Thread Information