Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1998 Camaro SS

pissin me off........

ok so ive been tryin for about the last hour to get the damn harmonic balancer pulley off....im using a three jaw puller and almost every time that damn claws just pop off after i start tightening it. One time they stayed on for a lil bit and i thought i was good but it popped off again. i dont know what the hell to do about this its really pissing me off. any thoughts or ideas or hints or tips or tricks or something to help?......................DAMMIT....thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

where are you grabbing at on the pulley? It's a pain in the ass fore sure. I think on mine I flipped the hooks around or something. Been a while.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

BFH

j/k

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I have a cheap ass $8 pulley from Harbor Freight and I couldn't get it to fit inside so we put it on the outside and it kept popping off. There is an extra hole drilled in each of the jaws of my pulley for adjustment and I put my old pushrods in them and it prevented it from slipping and allowed me to get the pulley off.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

and trust me I know your frustration here... I wanted to go on a rampage and kill everyone in my neighborhood about 100 times while replacing my motor, but I hung in there and got it done Good luck man!

black
    1998 Camaro SS

wow thats exactly what i just got done sayin to my little brother. its pissin me off so much. im losing my damn mind on this car. im honestly starting to regret buying performance parts for it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    wow thats exactly what i just got done sayin to my little brother. its pissin me off so much. im losing my damn mind on this car. im honestly starting to regret buying performance parts for it.

it's all part of the process and after you're done you'll forget all about that stuff. If you get frustrated with it just put down the tools for an hour or two and go back to it. Whatever you were working on will then be 10 times easier to get off.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Dude take a breath and calm down. You must be the same age as me, cause all these older guys seems to have gone through this phase already and all this bs stuff doesn't pahse them You have a 3 jaw puller right? Does it have an allotment for adjustment cause thats where I put the old pushrods? IF you can't use the old pushrods then get somethin to put in the holes to stop it from slipping off.

Seriously, calm down man! It's not the thing you wanna hear but it's the truth!!!!!!!!!!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

it's all part of the process and after you're done you'll forget all about that stuff. If you get frustrated with it just put down the tools for an hour or two and go back to it. Whatever you were working on will then be 10 times easier to get off.
    EXACTLY!!! It's so cliche' but most of the time thats how it works.

Jmatt, if you have problems with this, do not ever attempt to drop the motor/tranny/and k-member cause you will
    Last edited by 01ws6er; 03-14-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

Years of working on things backs this up as the great commandment! I learned this in the Air Force working on cargo planes...those things can be a real pain...crap moves from blue-print with the age of the plane. I think this is one reason I still smoke...a walk away, a couple of cigarettes, and a good cup of coffee really helps to passivate the adrenaline.

One thing younger guys do wrong...keep trying something that doesn't work. Oddly, they are attempting to show patience, but they are often just heaping more coal on the fire. Find a way to help the tool work or get another tool! Tools are untrainable. And remember you aren't failing...the tool is, you are designed to do a million things the damn tool is designed to do 1 thing...and it ain't gettin' it did!

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Commandment #2...don't plan in on it!

....like..."today I should get this, this, then that, then the other thing done!"

If you haven't done this exact job on this model before and it promises to be some work...you really get aggrivated when the list starts getting shorter of what you can get done today!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

do you have one like this where the legs are reversable?

or one like this?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    and trust me I know your frustration here... I wanted to go on a rampage and kill everyone in my neighborhood about 100 times while replacing my motor, but I hung in there and got it done Good luck man!
    lol

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

<---has a video of removing it. Will post on youtube

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Its TV. its fast... pause it and look at the way the puller is angled. Took forever to make that clip lol

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...cerremoval.flv

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

That was an epic film. I'd consider putting in an intermission, so viewers can get a snack and go to the head and what not.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

OK i FINALLY got the damn thing off. Thanks for the help guys. today i went to autozone and advanced autoparts and used their loan a tool program and loaned every last puller they had. earlier today i bought a set of pullers from harbor freight and as i tightened the puller the bolts that hold the arms on snapped in half! piece of crap tools lol. well thats when i loaned those pullers and finally got it off. i actually had to put a long piece of pipe on the on of the ratchet that was on the puller to break it free. Once it gave a loud pop then it was pretty easy to get out.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

OK i FINALLY got the damn thing off. Thanks for the help guys. today i went to autozone and advanced autoparts and used their loan a tool program and loaned every last puller they had. earlier today i bought a set of pullers from harbor freight and as i tightened the puller the bolts that hold the arms on snapped in half! piece of crap tools lol. well thats when i loaned those pullers and finally got it off. i actually had to put a long piece of pipe on the on of the ratchet that was on the puller to break it free. Once it gave a loud pop then it was pretty easy to get out.
    Glad to hear you got it!!! My cheap ass puller held up and we beat the hell outta the thing. I left the bolts a little loose though so that it would be easy to move or absorb impact better...

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Thank god it came off....I kept watching the news to see the killing spree in Ohio.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    Thank god it came off....I kept watching the news to see the killing spree in Ohio.
    It is extremely frustrating when you see something like this done by others and on tv countelss times with no effort and then you can't do it.

Thread Information