Thread: Pinging problem

Pinging problem

Ok, i have an 02 camaro z28 with 75,000 miles on it and can't seem to stop the damn thing from pinging, i've seafoamed it twice and run nothing but 93 octane gas, not sure what else i can do but it's very annoying when going down the track and i know it can't be good for the top end, does anyone have any suggestions, it would be muchly appreciated

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

what are your mods, if any?
    Running lean can cause pinging.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Pinging is caused by the the chamber or sections of it getting too hot, mixture too lean, poor fuel, or too much timing.

The chamber can be too hot because he engine is too hot - a lower thermostat will help.

The mixture can be too lean because it needs a tune, you have a vacuum leak, etc.

Changing fuel brands often helps, and oil mist in your intake will affect the octane - a catch can helps there.

If you have been tuned, try taking out a bit of timing in the areas where you are getting ping - taking a few degrees out is much better than the knock control taking out 4 or 5.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySS View Post
    Pinging is caused by the the chamber or sections of it getting too hot, mixture too lean, poor fuel, or too much timing.

The chamber can be too hot because he engine is too hot - a lower thermostat will help.

The mixture can be too lean because it needs a tune, you have a vacuum leak, etc.

Changing fuel brands often helps, and oil mist in your intake will affect the octane - a catch can helps there.

If you have been tuned, try taking out a bit of timing in the areas where you are getting ping - taking a few degrees out is much better than the knock control taking out 4 or 5.
    I agree with all of these statements, i was having the same exact problem with my 02 z28, i put a good catch can on and it helped alot but didnt fix the problem. finally i narrowed it down to my maf sensor, it wasnt throwing any codes but it was deffinatly getting lazy causing a lean condition. once i changed it out i havent heard a single ping since. if ou do need a maf dont use a aftermarket or ported maf they will make the problem worse, go with a oem acdelco maf!!!

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Good point. The maf is calibrated according to the table in the PCM. Clean the MAF, replace with OEM or if you use a different maf, have it tuned by someone who knows how to tune a maf.

great, thats a good point

i never thought of the maf, i forgot to mention i did have a 160 stat too, but i will try that, thanks guys, always a big help

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Are the fans recalibrated for the lower stat?

White
    1998 Trans Am

My car pinged at the 4k and up range it was a fuel pump going out and couldn't keep up. The MAF was in rought shape and I replaced that with a granetelli and it got a little better but still after 4800k it did it. Why we put the Wideband on it and dynoed it they couldn't get more than 295hp before it got to dangerous so I threw a Wabbro 255 in and the HP jumped right up when they finished the tune I cam out at 339hp and that tune sucked when it got redone I haven't had it dynoed but you can feel it, smell it, and noticed when racing my friends b4 and after.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

tune is next

i'm getting ready to install my yank 3600, and after that i'm sending the computer out to frost performance and they're gonna calibrate it for the 160 stat, but i'm hoping they don't put too much timing in the motor cuz then i think it will make the pinging worse

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

If nothing else works also consider that worn a/c belt pulleys can make noises that sound similar to ignition pings, remove the a/c belt and see if still pings.

yeah, but i'm pretty sure it isn't that but anythings possible i guess, i'm pretty sure its pinging though cuz it only does it when i have a load on it, when i rev it in my drive way in nuetral or park it doesn't do it

Thread Information