Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Persuade Me!!

Persuade Me!!

I joined about a month or so ago. I've been researching the Camaro and Firebird. I'm leaning toward a '00-02 Camaro. So here are my questions.

Would I be all set with a Z28 vs the SS? I love the hood and spoiler and the fact I could say I drive an SS, but is there any differences with hp?

Everyone says I should get an auto. I don't see what the point is getting a sports car unless its a stick.

What I want you guys to tell me is why should I get a Camaro. What are the points that you like about them and dislike. I need to know as much info as I can, learning it from current and previous owners seems like a good way to me.

Thanks guys.

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by MICopper11 View Post
    I joined about a month or so ago. I've been researching the Camaro and Firebird. I'm leaning toward a '00-02 Camaro. So here are my questions.

Would I be all set with a Z28 vs the SS? I love the hood and spoiler and the fact I could say I drive an SS, but is there any differences with hp?

Everyone says I should get an auto. I don't see what the point is getting a sports car unless its a stick.

What I want you guys to tell me is why should I get a Camaro. What are the points that you like about them and dislike. I need to know as much info as I can, learning it from current and previous owners seems like a good way to me.

Thanks guys.
    Trans ams look better

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Auto's are much better for 1/4 mile. More consistant.

If your leaning towards camaro, get an SS for the looks. If not then any of the firebird line has the z28's beat in looks.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

SS.......MN6........................

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

no real power gains with the ss. with the ss you get the ram air hood and box. im the same about the auto, i had to have the m6.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you get a z28 for cheap enough you can get the hood and spoiler and still pay less insurance than you would with an ss. Power gains are nill and if you mod all the stuff will be replaced. F-bodies are cheap these days and there is a bunch for sale by what you absolutley want otherwise you'll regret it.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by tigersport14 View Post
    Trans ams look better
    Your crazy! SS all the way. Make in an M6, they are just more fun to drive!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Do you like modding and personalizing your car? If so, there is so much out there for the F-bodies. You could get a Z28 and covert it to an SS. Or just keep it a Z28 and add headers, cam, etc and beat most cars out there! These F-bodies are great track cars too.

A4 vs M6 depends on your style and needs. If it's a toy, then I'd say M6 all the way. If you plan it as one hell of a daily driver, then maybe choose A4.

Eitherway, just get one!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

No difference in HP for the Z vs SS. And, I agree, not worth getting unless it's a 6-speed! I sold my '98 for the '00 WS6 because it's a 6-speed, I like to control my machines. There are a lot to choose from if you look around, so don't rush to buy the first one. Be choosey. Do you want stock, or modified. Most will be modded to some degree. These cars can easily get over 25 MPG highway, too.

01 T/A, only the WS6s had the raised lower airbox, pretty certain the SSs did not. Does it really help our cars? Maybe, especially if it is sealed to the hood.

Triple Black
    1998 Trans Am WS.7 Vert

I have to agree with tigersport14, the Trans Am definitely looks better imho but I may be biased by my '98 T/A Vert .

Personally, M6 all the way, they're so much more fun to drive. And without too many mods you can easily get 25-28mpg highway. Mine's got the CAI with SLP lid and filter and I'm getting routinely 27 or 28 on the highway with an average of 20-21 between city and highway.

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

you could definitely save some coin by going with the Z28 and making some exterior upgrades to make it look however you wanted it to, really comes down to personal taste, because there arent noticeable power gains from the z28 to the SS.

as far as my .02 on the A4/M6 debate, i'd go with the M6. i had an 99 SS and a 98 Z28 that were both A4s, and they were great. But it gets old having people say "too bad it's not a stick" or whatever (usually because their knowledge of cars doesnt extend beyond the fast and furious lol). beyond that, its just a lot more enjoyable driving the 6 speed around. plus, when you leave someone in the dust there is a little more satisfaction in the victory when you did more than just mash the gas pedal.

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

If you have a choice between a Z28 and an SS, I would go with the SS any day. Just a little less common and looks a little better, (i.e. hood, spoiler, intake).

As for the A4 vs the M6, I've had both, 2001 WS6 A4, (that was totaled) and currently I have a 2001 WS6 M6. I have much more fun with the 6 speed, and i'ts my daily driver.

The best advice is to look and drive both, you'll know immediatly which one you'll want.

Between the WS6 and the SS, I prefer the WS6 myself. I like the TA's front end and interior over the camaro but that's just my opinion. You'll be happy with either.

Black
    99 SS

everyone knows that SS's are faster

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    everyone knows that SS's are faster
    The red ones are the fastest, the Chevy dealer told me so!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

well with 440rwhp im sure the red one is faster lol. Ive had 5 camaro's, 95Z auto, 01 SS M6, 93Z M6, 94Z M6 and 01Z M6 as you can tell after my first auto it was my first and last. Driving a M6 as a daily driver is not difficult at all and is more enjoyable. Its way more fun driving a manual then a auto and being in control of your shift points is no doubt a plus. To me WS6, SS, Z28 pretty much in that order look good. If your gonna do quartermile runs with the car i do agree auto's are much easier to stay consistant. With an M6, if you dont care about shifting soo much in traffic its well worth it. I love shifting from one gear to another traffic or not and whatever you decide in the end you dont really lose at all in what you pick, in all of those you get the same car just different looks and that is just preference.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

I appreciate all of the answers so far guys. I always thought the SS's were one of the best looking sports cars. I just wasn't sure how horsepower numbers differed from SS to Z28, but thanks you guys, I now know.

I have my sights set on either Navy Blue Metallic or just plain old black. But like I said before, it HAS to be a stick.

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    The red ones are the fastest, the Chevy dealer told me so!
    sounds good to me.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by MICopper11 View Post
    I appreciate all of the answers so far guys. I always thought the SS's were one of the best looking sports cars. I just wasn't sure how horsepower numbers differed from SS to Z28, but thanks you guys, I now know.

I have my sights set on either Navy Blue Metallic or just plain old black. But like I said before, it HAS to be a stick.
    Nice. These clutches are easy on the left leg, unlike some cars (Mustangs).

I had a NBM '98 Trans Am, that color is awesome. The black WS6 I have now is nice as well, but the NBM was better IMO. That being said, there is a rumour here that the red ones are fastest, something to consider....

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Quote Originally Posted by ksstamp09 View Post
    sounds good to me.
    You know it!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

If you are planning to keep the vehicle stock, get the SS, if you are planning to "modify" the vehicle get the Z28, in my opinion the SS is not worth the extra money that will be asked for the vehicle.

SteveC

Thread Information