Pewter
    2001 Z28

Pcv oil consumption

I have kinda of heard that ls1 s have a shitty pcv system and read some brief stuff on here about it. Does anyone have this problem. I usually go through a quart at least in 3k. But I recently put in a new pcv valve and hoping that takes care of some of it. I also seen a redesigned pcv valve I think it was on lmperfomance, has anyone tried that.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Oh and no leaks or anything, so I am assuming its from the pcv system. and when I gun it all the way I can see a little smoke from the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    I have kinda of heard that ls1 s have a shitty pcv system and read some brief stuff on here about it. Does anyone have this problem. I usually go through a quart at least in 3k. But I recently put in a new pcv valve and hoping that takes care of some of it. I also seen a redesigned pcv valve I think it was on lmperfomance, has anyone tried that.
    I tried the redesigned PCV from GM on my 02,,,didn't do anything for it.
    It seems to be common with most 4th gens here. The popular fix is installing a catch can to stop it before it enters the intake. This however doesn't stop the oil from being sucked through the PCV.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I tried the redesigned PCV from GM on my 02,,,didn't do anything for it.
    It seems to be common with most 4th gens here. The popular fix is installing a catch can to stop it before it enters the intake. This however doesn't stop the oil from being sucked through the PCV.
    If you keep the valve, put it between the trap and the intake. I see a significant difference to the insides when using a good trap. The Vettes seem to be worse about it as well.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

A good catch can will make a big difference in not pulling the oil mist into the intake. As stated above, it doesn't reduce the amount of oil used throught the PCV but does keep it out of the intake system.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If you keep the valve, put it between the trap and the intake. I see a significant difference to the insides when using a good trap. The Vettes seem to be worse about it as well.
    Interesting Steve, I currently have the PCV before the can. I'll move it after the can and give that a shot.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I don't think it makes a huge difference, but it keeps more crap out of the valve, that's for sure.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Cant I just put in a breather and get rid of the pcv valve and cap off the ends. I have heard of the catch can before, But I dont get why people dont just throw on breathers. I guess I was just trying to find a really cheap solution before buying the can or whatever I m going to do.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    Cant I just put in a breather and get rid of the pcv valve and cap off the ends. I have heard of the catch can before, But I dont get why people dont just throw on breathers. I guess I was just trying to find a really cheap solution before buying the can or whatever I m going to do.
    some do run a breather. I've seen this argued time and time again and about the only downside to the breather that I can think of is more oil vapor under the hood which will grime everything up for you over time.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The breather is just ventilation, it is not a vacuum like you get when setup as described. Just the breather makes the inside of the car stink if you have fans or AC on also... gets that burned oil smell.

A can/trap is about $10 dollars, that is definitely cheaper than a breather too...

Something like this with 2 screw in barb fittings works: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94346
    Last edited by Frost; 07-19-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I don't think it makes a huge difference, but it keeps more crap out of the valve, that's for sure.
    Good point,,,that PCV gets pretty nasty over time.

Awaiting Activation
    Where do you install the trap?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Just before the entry to the manifold/TB (the vacuum source).

Thread Information