Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

PCV broken hose, uh oh

I was replacing the PCV on my 02 z28. The hose on the fat side was cracked and not so good. I was trying to be gentle and it ripped a part, crap. I noticed there was a wire attached to a metal loop that was inside the PCV. On my 99 I don't remember seeing this.

Now I have a torn rubber piece and I'm looking at it scratching my head. I am guessing this part has the wire loop in it and is replaced as one part? I mean I don't see how I could add the wire loop into a new hose.

What is this wire for? Better yet, now I don't have the PCV hooked up. I'm stuck and on a Sunday. Unless I can find a fix I will be busing it to work i suppose.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Had the same problem and I followed this guide;

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80151

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks I found a couple of them, that was one. I was trying to find part numbers or mor info on the adapters.

Do you remember the deminsions or part numbers on the brass coupling?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I just measured the OD on each end of the pcv vavle and bought a brass adapter that matched that.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well i ended up with a handful of parts from the store. I was pretty lucky they guy at the parts store had a brass fitting exactly the right size. Tell you what i hope i don't have to do this again. What a real pain. I think i will need to take it a part again tomorrow. My big hose is a little to long. I was originally trying to use a reducer part i found at the store, way too long. So I had a section of hose to was meant for that reducer thing. Took that out but forgot to trim the hose to a little nub like the picture, lol...

thanks for all the help. I'm sure I will get stuck fixing this thing a gain one day. I was pretty surprised to see the recommended PCV was just a hollow piece of aluminum. I looked at it and laughed.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I fussed with mine a few time of trimming and adjusting to get it right.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I would like to take the time to figure out how to replace that plastic tube the runs along the valve cover with 3/8" emissions/fuel rubber tubing. It is that darn plastic tube that makes it so hard to work with parts that are not exact precise fits.

I guess I am dense. I read a couple of PCV mod posts and wasn't quite getting it.

As far as I can tell you have a tube that runs from the air intake to the PCV, this is the 3/8" side. The bigger side of the PCV runs by the valve cover. Now this is where i get a little confused. I never learned the ins and outs of the PCV, just buy and replace, .

I am guess there is a tube that runs to a port on the valve cover. Now there should be one for each valve cover, right? My guess is this means there should be a T junction somewhere? Not sure. I've also seen posts say you reach behind the intake when running new lines. I guess I am slow and I need more details.

I read a PCV re-do and catch can post by Sarge, holy moly i was confused, lol...

Do the PCV lines attach to the intake in the back or just the front?
    Do the PCV lines run to one place on the valve covers (1 each) or more than one place?
    If i wanted to buy all new 3/8" emissions/fuel rubber tubing where does it all go?

I would so love to replace those hard plastic lines with something with a little more flex to it. I just know one of those lines will crack or break one day.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

My foam lines all rotted out too. I ripped the whole system out and basically replaced them all with reinforced gas hose and a brass t fitting in the back. I also did the pcv holder like you did on the front. Working god so far

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

could you give me an idea of how the new lines run? It was late last night so i didn't fool with it too much, just enough to get the car running.

I assume the T connect is for the line off the PCV so it can split to both valve covers. I'm guessing the T goes near the back just to keep from running a boat load of tubing in a small space.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i most be dense as heck. I was out there looking around to see where the PCV hose goes. I could not find a place on the driver valve cover to save my life. And for all those that say all you need to do is reach around the back of the intake. Hah, either i have pop eye arms or someone is taking off a bunch of stuff. I could not reach behind the intake at all. I got about half a fore arm at most. I just hope that dumb plastic tubing never breaks, because I have no idea how I would convert it to use rubber hose. What a maze mess of junk back there, lol....

I can see the big fat AIR tubing, . But I can't get a visual on where any of the PCV tubing goes. Maybe another day I will break out the mirror stick and see what I can find.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

This should help;

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

now that is a pic for dummies, . ty. I can see why I couldn't find the PCV location on the driver side. I think the AIR tube on the side hides it, but that is way back there.

judging by your photo. if i was to redo mine I would bring the T fitting location from behind the intake up more to the passenger side where I can get to it, lol...

so it looks like your blue line runs to the back, hits the T and then plits out to each valve cover. It is clear as mud.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

The AIR plumbing hides it alot. I agree with t-ing it on the passenger side. Then the new tubing could follow the where the factory piece went.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

did you worm clamp the new rubber lines to the valve covers? I personally really dislike the factory pinch clips. I was hoping I could get my pop eye gorilla arms back there enough to at least worm clamp it.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I used the pinch clamps. I couldnt find a way to get a knut dirver or screw driver on a worm clamp.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

really? How did you get the pinch clamps on? You must have a giant pair of really long nose pliers then.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I dont have the AIR system or EGR so I can reach back there easier. I positioned the clamp on the hose a few inches up from the end. Slid on the hose and then brought the clamp down on it.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ah....did you have to take anything off the valve covers to get back there?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I cheated. I pulled my coil packs when I did my headers.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ah ok, so i am not crazy. I was thinking people were saying they could reach back there with out taking stuff off. I thought I was going nuts. I can barely get half a pop eye arm back there.

Thread Information