Thread: PCV 02' transam

PCV 02' transam

Can the PVC be changed in "the tube" with a replacement from NAPA or are they proprietary

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What exactly is the PCV "catch" modification. I would like to see what it looks like.

Navy Blue Metallic

Do you mean catch can?

Here is what one looks like outside the car:

here is one installed:

Now in the pic above it will be a little strange to you because I have the LS6 valley cover tray mod in conjunction to having a catch can.

Catch cans - they are usually inserted between the engine and the PCV depending on the set up of the PCV. By this I mean if you have a OEM LS1 PCV setup or like mine a LS6 PCV setup, where the PCV has been moved to the underside of the valley cover tray taking it out of the direct path of the oil being pushed into the valves. By moving it to this location you have less oil being pushed into the PCV but still have crankcase pressure being released.

What does the catch can do?

As the crankcase pressure flows through the catch can it passes through a filter material, usually a steel wool type. The filter separates the oil from the stream, as it builds up it collects into drops and falls to the bottom of the can to be collected. The crankcase air flows out of the catch can and is directed into the intake just behind the throttle body.

I think this was after 6 weeks from install.

The OEM PCV does the same thing as a catch can in theory however the catch can is on a much bigger scale and removes much more oil form the air stream. Catch cans kinda acts like a fuel filter.

GM designed the PCV to return the crankcase pressure back into the the intake so that it can "burn off". But over time it builds up inside the intake, throttle body and then the cylinders themselves robbing you of HP.

Old school muscle cars just used a valve cover vent filter. It relieves the pressure from high revs but they where know to get oil soak.

SIDE NOTE - I've mention the LS6 VCT mod. It is not a performance mod but more of a function mod. By removing the PCV to under the valley cover tray taking it away from the valve covers my oil consumption has dropped. Prior to this mod I had to fill up a 1/2 quart every 2-3k miles. And almost every time after a track day. Now - I check the catch can every 2-3k miles and all I get is that little amount every time. I've been going a whole oil change with out adding an oil at some time.

I used to recommend this mod for anybody to do however I've pulled back on that because if you are not anally meticulous when doing the procedure of notching the block* you can have a really bad, bad day. If you are careless you can send metal shavings into the block and then you are having fun doing a tear down and engine flush to remove them otherwise say goodbye to the engine. It happen to a member here a few months back.

* - all >/01' LS1 block yrs have to be notched to make room for the LS6 VCT, Some 01's and most 02's have the LS6 block but LS1 internals. The vent tube hits a spot internally.

Can

Where can I get a can like that?

Navy Blue Metallic

I got mine from ws6store

Thread Information