Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Exclamation Parking brake discontinued???

Any of you guys ever heard of or had a parking brake release pushbutton shooting out of the end of the handle?? I had Pontiac send me a parts breakdown fax, and all I could see was the actual handle itself, no internal serviceable parts! To make it worse, they said the handle is discontinued!

I can't see how this could have happened, I'm never hard on it. (the parking brake anyway) and I KNOW i'm not the only guy with an A4 that uses his parking brake..This is for a '99 T/A, by the way, but I'm pretty sure the handles are all the same, be it a Camaro or Firebird.

I searched & scoured the web and found that GTO's suffer a similar problem, and there is a fix for them, but their parking brakes handles aren't the same design as an f-car.

Anybody?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

When I had to do my e-brake cable, I had to order one and had to wait almost two months to get it because there was "only 4 left in the company" and then some schpeel about how they're in the process of getting more made ... I don't know what that was all about.

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Question

So did the same issue befall your parking brake handle too?? Eventually you got it replaced or so it sounds like you did.. It would seem the 4 left in the company have been sold off! hahaha damn!

Are they repairable? If not available, I'm gonna have to find a way to fix it, I can't stand having a broken component just left that way!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by PushroD View Post
    So did the same issue befall your parking brake handle too?? Eventually you got it replaced or so it sounds like you did.. It would seem the 4 left in the company have been sold off! hahaha damn!

Are they repairable? If not available, I'm gonna have to find a way to fix it, I can't stand having a broken component just left that way!
    i didn't need a handle, just the left cable on the underside. i eventually got the cable about four weeks later but i just had to leave it in first when i parked it.
    are the handles repairable? i doubt it (but im not sure) ... i'm sure you pick something up from a similar vehicle. try going to a junk yard and pulling one off a TA or Camaro (if there are any!)

Thread Information