Thread: P1637

P1637

So I took my car (2000 z28)to get inspected and unfortunately it failed. When I brought it home I ran the scanner and that's what it hit me with. P1637- L terminal circuit. I remember scanning it a while ago (few months, it's been sitting) and it had no problems. It drives fine, and the voltage stays constant. Things to note: I did just install some longtubes on it, as well as a full 3in exhaust. Has cats and O2 sensors and all, and I'm not getting any codes from those. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

P1637

check the connector on the alternator. there's a single thin wire that talks to the ecm. it can break easy.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

So update. I finally got some time to take a peek under the car, and from what I can tell the alternator looks fine. The guage shows that it's charging and all, so I'll probably end up going to grab my test kit to check everything. On a side note, I found this connector dangling, and I honestly have no clue what it might go to. Any help would be appreciated

Navy Blue Metallic

what side of the bay is that on? hard to tell from pics.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    what side of the bay is that on? hard to tell from pics.
    Driver's side engine bay, its underneath the ABS module, but everywhere I've looked I couldn't find what it hooks up to. I think I might have to do with ABS as I have an ABS inop light

Navy Blue Metallic

Most likely that, I think the air pump had only a 2 wire connector. So I don't think it's that and it doesn't look like it's for the O2 sensor harness either.

Why would your ABS be disconnected?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If your P1637 code persists, I would unplug and inspect your connections (both the harness end and alternator terminal) for corrosion or damage. Also take a look to ensure that your engine grounds are in place, free of corrosion and tight. The hidden ground is bolted to the back of the driver side head.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Most likely that, I think the air pump had only a 2 wire connector. So I don't think it's that and it doesn't look like it's for the O2 sensor harness either.

Why would your ABS be disconnected?
    Sorry about the late replies, I've been a bit busy. I got under the car and looked around, and everything is plugged in, abs, air pump, everything is solid. I talked with one of my friends who does wiring harnesses for these cars (he also tuned it) and hes stumped too. I got the codes fixed as it was some geometry (tune) to do with he headers and exhaust travel. As for the abs, this car was raced and there's some janky stuff with it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If your P1637 code persists, I would unplug and inspect your connections (both the harness end and alternator terminal) for corrosion or damage. Also take a look to ensure that your engine grounds are in place, free of corrosion and tight. The hidden ground is bolted to the back of the driver side head.
    I checked the connections as well, the alternator L terminal has a single red wire that leads straight to the ecm, so I'm a bit lost with that. All the other connections are ok, but not in the best shape. I'm gonna see about getting a custom wiring harness made when I eventually swap the busted 4l60e out with the t56 I got laying around. Thanks for the help all!

Quote Originally Posted by Sully K View Post
    Sorry about the late replies, I've been a bit busy. I got under the car and looked around, and everything is plugged in, abs, air pump, everything is solid. I talked with one of my friends who does wiring harnesses for these cars (he also tuned it) and hes stumped too. I got the codes fixed as it was some geometry (tune) to do with he headers and exhaust travel. As for the abs, this car was raced and there's some janky stuff with it.

When I said codes, I meant the exhaust codes. Pretty sure the alternator code is still there, but it operates fine and runs/ drives like a dream

Navy Blue Metallic

The red wire is suppose to go to the ecm, it's the trigger wire that lets the ecm know it's charging.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

At first I thought that harness went to one of your fans.

Thread Information