2001 WS6

P0300 LS1 misfire ugh!

2001 LS1 with 62k orig everything. I’ve got a serious misfire that threw an SES and P0300. Misses badly and stinks of unburned gas. I hear a Tech 2 scan tool can isolate the problem whether ignition or injectors… is that the case? Should I just start with plugs wires and fuel filter or could this just be bad O2 sensors? I was thinking of just bringing it to GMC as they do a diagnosis for $149. Any ideas? Thanks!

TAN
    07 Chevy Tahoe

A dealership has a few tools that can help them isolate a faulty spark plug, wire, or o2 sensor.

Spark Plug OE p/n is 41-962 and OE cost is $11.02 and book time is 2.0

Wires OE p/n is 748CC and OE cost is $210.38 and book time is 1.4, but ask for 2.3 for the overall spark plugs and wire set, or see if they have a flat rate or menu cost as the tech is in the same component and instead of compounding charges, just negotiate and get the cost of labor lower. I do all the time, but then again that is my job.

If O2 sensors are bad, OE p/n is 25312197 and the OE cost is $148.02, and book time for each, if all three are bad, is 1.9, but again you can ask for a lower labor time as each of them are in the same general area and chances are they'll have your car on a lift and have easier access to the parts. I would ask for 1.3. At the $149.99 rate, the actual cost would be $284.90, but if you ask for the 1.3, that would be $194.94 which is easier to stomach. Always ask for lower rates as you are in control of your car, and they are there to make money no matter what. If they asked how you got these numbers, state you have access to Pro Demand and can see current prices and labor times.

Paul Conte Chevy is a good vendor, and if you want to save a bit, go to Firestone Complete Auto Care, or a Goodyear Service Center, just let them know what the OE costs and Labor times are and they'll be able to assist you as well.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by deeze12; 09-22-2021 at 08:41 PM.

2001 WS6

Thanks! Would you believe I just saw this?? Do you do work in Nassau or Suffolk because I need a trustworthy mechanic that knows his stuff. Listen to this crazy fucking story. Why I never got this message.

Sometime in late September or October 21 I picked up plugs and wires after a local mechanic refused to diagnose the car. I asked him to change the fuel filter (because it probably needed it) and diagnose the car until it was running right. He insisted on returning the car to me after the filter was changed regardless of if it worked or not…. I never took the car to him. At that point, I just figured let me change the plugs and wires and start from there because it was easier than me going under the car. Five year earlier I had done the knock sensors and LS6 Valley mod so I wasn’t too concerned about the plugs, despite hearing that they are a PITA.

So in October 2021, I went to change the plugs and as I was doing the driver side, I had a real sharp pain in the top of my head. I stood up and felt confused. I knew I was working on my car, but I was not sure what the hell was going on. I slowly. walked into my house and called my wife who was working. I had no recollection that she had a job and she told me to stay exactly where I was and that she would be heading home. EMS was called and it was determined I should be taken to the closest hospital that had a stroke unit. Thank god I remembered my son was in football, but I had kind of a temporary memory wipe and had forgotten my mother died, which happened about a year earlier, plus a few other things. Once my blood pressure calmed down, I was given a diagnosis of transient global amnesia - the same shit that Walter White said he had when he was found naked in the convenience store lol.

A while after that, maybe a couple weeks - I actually don’t remember lol - I went back to my garage and reassessed what I had done. Since I didn’t remember tightening the plugs or even changing them, I made sure they were tight and installed the new wires which turned out had a higher resistance than the original wires, even though they were both apparently factory wires. With fingers crossed I started the car only hoping that this is going to be the cure. I started it up and she ran smoothly. I backed the car out of the garage, because I had no access to the passenger side anyway due to space or lack thereof. At that point, I decided to clear the codes and check out how she was running. She seemed to be running fine. didn’t smell of gasoline and was running pretty smooth, and considering what I have been through I had decided at that point to leave well enough alone and not tempt fate.

So now I have a car that runs like a beast with half the plugs done . Crazy right?

Oh, I would like to put Bilsteins on the car and possibly change some front end components just because it would be apart during the process. If you will be able to do this, or can direct me to a reputable shop for that I would appreciate it. thanks again for your detailed response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information