Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p-codes

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Question p-codes

so my service engine light came on, plugged it in and got P1071 system too lean bank 1 and P1074 system too lean bank 1. i know i dont have any vaccum leaks that my MAF is clean...i'm thinking i might just need new O2 sensors, but i'm not really sure so i thought maybe someone would have some input on it. oh, i was also wondering how often you all do tune ups on your cars? thanks
    Click for full size
    Jessica
    '00 Trans Am WS6
    '98 Cherokee Classic - DD

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

change the bank 1 O2 sensor. sounds like it fouled out on you

Think you meant to post P0171 and P0174 - both banks lean? Could be something else, but doublecheck for a vacuum leak.

www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9039.php

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

sounds like a vacum leak but since its both banks you may have a fuel delivery problem. try a fuel filter and cleaning the injectors if that doesnt work, a local shop could put a smoke macine on it when its cold to look for vacuum leaks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

mods on the car? Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Check your pressure. How long since the filter was changed?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

filter was changed last year before i put it away for winter.
    took it up to where my brother works and plugged it into the scantool & maf had nef value & the sensors were reading n adjusted when gas was given but the one seemed to be running high and flat at idle...so i cleaned the maf again and rescanned and the maf was positive & senors were still doing the same (i assumed they wouldnt change since we didn't mess with them)...my light hasnt popped back on yet (then again i havent driven it a whole lot)..i still dont know why the one sensor is running high/flat (unless thats how it runs normally?)

only mods the car has is a borla exhaust system & granatelli mass airflow sensor..otherwise the rest is stock

thanks for the input

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    took it up to where my brother works and plugged it into the scantool & maf had nef value & the sensors were reading n adjusted when gas was given but the one seemed to be running high and flat at idle...so i cleaned the maf again and rescanned and the maf was positive & senors were still doing the same (i assumed they wouldnt change since we didn't mess with them)...my light hasnt popped back on yet (then again i havent driven it a whole lot)..i still dont know why the one sensor is running high/flat (unless thats how it runs normally?)

only mods the car has is a borla exhaust system & granatelli mass airflow sensor..otherwise the rest is stock

thanks for the input
    have you tuned for that maf yet ?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

thanks for the input
    try swapping that out for the stocker......

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    try swapping that out for the stocker......
    that was my thought...IIRC those aftermarket mafs that claim gains over stock are because the their mafs read leaner than stock.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i havent tuned for the maf (im not sure if the previous owner had it done though?) i'll have to look in to that..perhaps ill just swap the stocker in for now until i can tune for the other maf

on another note since i cleaned the aftermarket maf i have only driven it twice (fairly good amounts) and it seems to have been doing fine & the light didnt come back on..howeverrr i went to drive it this morning and it feels like there is some sort of lag or something. every time after i shift it seems to slightly jolt as if it wants to stall (they arent large jolts like when someone stalls)...kinda feels like sputtering/small jolts. i drove it enough to get up to 3rd to see if it was just 1 gear or all and it did it no matter what. i just don't know what to do with it at the moment ughh this just adds to my shitty week
    -Jessica

98' trans am

i havent tuned for the maf (im not sure if the previous owner had it done though?) i'll have to look in to that..perhaps ill just swap the stocker in for now until i can tune for the other maf

on another note since i cleaned the aftermarket maf i have only driven it twice (fairly good amounts) and it seems to have been doing fine & the light didnt come back on..howeverrr i went to drive it this morning and it feels like there is some sort of lag or something. every time after i shift it seems to slightly jolt as if it wants to stall (they arent large jolts like when someone stalls)...kinda feels like sputtering/small jolts. i drove it enough to get up to 3rd to see if it was just 1 gear or all and it did it no matter what. i just don't know what to do with it at the moment ughh this just adds to my shitty week
    -Jessica
    no dont tune for the slp maf..sell it and keep your stocker....mind you the oem unit is good for up to 500 crank ......so that is a lot of flow and power.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

sorry for such a late reply back, i think i might take and throw the stocker on and see how it goes. i was running with the granatelli--seemed fine, didn't romp on it or anything and now she is just not happy. goes fine but around 2g heading toward acceleration she will jolt a few times, spudder like but once a bit over 3g she's fine (i feel like its sucking gas down way more than it did previously). i haven't thrown any codes. my only large issue right now is lack of cash flow, so i don't want to spend on a part that was fine to begin with. a friend suggested trying injector cleaner (since she was stored for 5months over winter) and another suggested a new upstream O2 sensor. what do you guys think?

background info on the car: 3rd owner and i've owned it for a little over a year-- when i bought it i drove it 2hrs fresh out of its winter storage area home. was my DD for 8months, romped on it at the track a few times. i havent done any mods to it, put it away for winter...ran good for a few weeks out of storage and now these issues.

98' trans am

sorry for such a late reply back, i think i might take and throw the stocker on and see how it goes. i was running with the granatelli--seemed fine, didn't romp on it or anything and now she is just not happy. goes fine but around 2g heading toward acceleration she will jolt a few times, spudder like but once a bit over 3g she's fine (i feel like its sucking gas down way more than it did previously). i haven't thrown any codes. my only large issue right now is lack of cash flow, so i don't want to spend on a part that was fine to begin with. a friend suggested trying injector cleaner (since she was stored for 5months over winter) and another suggested a new upstream O2 sensor. what do you guys think?

background info on the car: 3rd owner and i've owned it for a little over a year-- when i bought it i drove it 2hrs fresh out of its winter storage area home. was my DD for 8months, romped on it at the track a few times. i havent done any mods to it, put it away for winter...ran good for a few weeks out of storage and now these issues.
    well mind you..you will need 2 upstream O2 sensors. it sounds like a fuel delivery issue jessica ....i would first replace your fuel filter ...as it has been stored and could have picked up some junk...then run some seafoam or some other fuel system cleaner...after that if it is still not running right...get a fuel pressure gauge or borrow one and hook it too the fuel rail...it should read around 58psi

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

check this hose.

i had the same codes and it turns out on the back side of this hose it had burnt through. you can replace it with 3/8 fuel line, cut it about 2 and a half inches long and youll be good. if you wanna go super cheap you can wrap it in electrical tape. it worked for me for about a year till i decided to fix it a little better.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

alrighty, thanks for the suggestions guys. i will try them out this weekend when i get some free time. ohhh would you suggest sticking with the granatelli or putting the stock maf on (its had the granatelli since i go it)?

98' trans am

If u haven't got it tuned for the g maf..than either go back to stock or get it tuned....or eveb better...keep the g maf in the garage and when u get a tune, put the g maf back on ....but for now run the stock maf

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Did you use Stabil when you put the car away? Mine usually sets a HO2S light when I get the car running again. Apparently, they don't like Stabil. Clears right out and soesn't come back.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by planemech2 View Post
    Did you use Stabil when you put the car away? Mine usually sets a HO2S light when I get the car running again. Apparently, they don't like Stabil. Clears right out and soesn't come back.
    nope, i didnt put anything in when i put her away for winter.

so i changed out to the stocker for a bit and it didn't seem to do much different, so i put the granatelli back on and it was running fine for a while (then again i was seldomly driving it). while driving down to a 2.5hr away car show she started running a bit odd & got worse on the way back. went to drive her the next morning and ran like hell, finally threw codes at me.

---> p0307 cylinder 7 missfire p0171 system to lean bank 1 o2 sensor

brought them up to some friends to see what they thought...some said change my plugs...one said to flip my packs and still see if it threw 7 (tell if the 1 pack was bad)..another suggested o2 sensor since cylinder 7 is a missfire--dumpin fuel on that side and fouled a plug....thoughts???

98' trans am

get the misfire fixed first i would swap the coils and see if the code follows. if not look into the wires and plugs..look at the plug and see how it looks ....to me tho i feel like its a fueling issue considering the lean condition is just seen on one side. so definitely fix the misfire first.

let us know what you find.

bad gas can also do it so yea do the misfiring checks first

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    get the misfire fixed first i would swap the coils and see if the code follows. if not look into the wires and plugs..look at the plug and see how it looks ....to me tho i feel like its a fueling issue considering the lean condition is just seen on one side. so definitely fix the misfire first.

let us know what you find.

bad gas can also do it so yea do the misfiring checks first
    ive checked on the gas, its not that. common misfire checks please?
    im trying to get this all figured out and fixed so i can drive 2.5hrs to massillon saturday

Thread Information