Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

overheating!! please help

2000 z: my check gauges light popped on and i noticed that i was overheating and my car was bogging and SES light popped on. let it cool drove 1 mile to autozone. they read the code as "ect(coolant temp sensor) failure. check wires or replace". wires are good. new sensor installed. still overheating HOWEVER with a heat gun monitoring the temp it was runnin 210-220 though my temp gauge was pinned. coolant temp sensor replacement seems obvious but it was done with no change. WHAT ELSE COULD THIS BE???? i'm stuck and i REALLY dont want to take it to the dealer. btw i know the wires are good cause we checked them with a multimeter and it read 5 volts which is normal. and also we checked the resistance on the sensor and the original was good though i left the replacement in to be safe....

pewter
    2001 WS6 T/A

220 is really hot, make sure your fan is working. you may have a stuck thermostat as well,cheap and easy to change.

408 ci + 4000 stall = fun lancesT/A's Avatar

red
    2002 SS

ya thermo has my vote... maybe uve lost fluid somehow. have u checked ur levels?

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

it only gets 220 briefly before the fan kicks on then it drops back down. it will run stable in that level while i watch my temp gauge screamin 270+. my fluid levels are where they should be. i drove that sucker 5-6 min. while it was red lining the temp, pretty sure it was a false reading and when i stopped there was no heat from the engine bay, no funny smells, smoke, nothin. runs like norm.(untill the pcm throws the forementioned code and my A/F gets jacked)

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

ok...i plugged the hole where the sensor goes, hooked up the sensor to the harness, grounded it out and turned it on.....the guage never heated up. it stayed below 100(cause it was not in the block.) that pissed me off. that tells me that that whole temp/guage system is working properly. SOAB. somebody explain this! why is my gauge yelling at me yet the block is not so hot.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Wacky gauge?

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

dont you have two temp senors? one for the guage and one for the computer? my 02 did the same thing, i replaced the one on the front of the right head it worked for about a week. then had to replace it again used a better one this time and no trouble.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroKidZ28 View Post
    2000 z: my check gauges light popped on and i noticed that i was overheating and my car was bogging and SES light popped on. let it cool drove 1 mile to autozone. they read the code as "ect(coolant temp sensor) failure. check wires or replace". wires are good. new sensor installed. still overheating HOWEVER with a heat gun monitoring the temp it was runnin 210-220 though my temp gauge was pinned. coolant temp sensor replacement seems obvious but it was done with no change. WHAT ELSE COULD THIS BE???? i'm stuck and i REALLY dont want to take it to the dealer. btw i know the wires are good cause we checked them with a multimeter and it read 5 volts which is normal. and also we checked the resistance on the sensor and the original was good though i left the replacement in to be safe....
    first of all do a continuity test with the meter if its a half way decent one it should have it. thats where you touch the leads together and it will beep, then you touch each wire seperately while touching ground. But then again you would know if it was a short because it would be poppin the fuse.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

check the belt! lol

Black!
    04 Ram

Their computer said "temperature sensor light" All that means is that...well...your temp light is on. Hope you didnt waist money on a new sensor. You need to find out what is making that sensor go off.... Whenever I drive from Virginia to florida, my check engine light comes on. the first time this happen i went to autozone, they plug in their computer and say "oh your o2 sensor is bad"

Well...when push come to shove... It is nothing more than the changing of altitude from mountains to flat land that is causing that sensor to act up. Change in pressure!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sirzones View Post
    220 is really hot, make sure your fan is working. you may have a stuck thermostat as well,cheap and easy to change.
    Not if he is running the stock thermostat.

SteveC

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

200-220 temp is normal for non-lsx f-bods too (3800II) just thought I'd add.. Sorry for thread jack..

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Measure the resistance of the sensor, if it's normal, check the voltage at the sensor, if those are normal and you've checked the wires the problem could be the PCM.

Low coolant temperature produces a high resistance, 100,000 ohms at -38°C (-39°F) , while high temperature causes low resistance, 70 ohms at 130°C (266°F) .

The PCM supplies a 5.0 Volt signal to the engine coolant temperature sensor through a resistor in the PCM and measures the voltage. The voltage will be high when the engine is cold. The voltage will be low when the engine is hot. The PCM calculates the engine coolant temperature by measuring the voltage. The engine coolant temperature affects most Systems the PCM controls.
    Last edited by DaddySS; 10-05-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Thread Information