Blue
    2002 Z-28

OverHeating! Need help

I thought I had this problem fixed... In city driving I stay at 200-210 all day long. But everytime I get on the interstate the temp will gradually rise (especially with the AC on). Today it hit 260+ and I saw my "check gauges" light come on. I freaked and Had to put the heat on for the rest of the drive in 80+ weather.

Ive only got 40,000 miles on my 02 Z what gives? is this normal?

I just did a complete cooling system flush myself with 50/50 and im using water wetter in the system? Im pretty sure I bled the air outa the system properly too.

What can I do to keep cool? could it be my radiator cap?

Black
    2001 Firehawk

Angry overheating

I had the same problem, bought SLP 160 deg t'stat,fan switch, and hi flow radiator. I have a 2001 Firehawk so I try to stick with SLP products. When I pulled the stock t'stat I noticed the gasket had deformed and was causing the problem. Oh well, I live in Texas and I needed the other stuff anyway, like when I'm waiting in line to make my pass @ the track.

Red
    2002 T/A

Check your air dam underneath your car. That long black lip below your bumper. I serviced a Camaro once and i forgot to install this, oops. The customer came back complaining of the exact same thing you are.
    City=Cool
    Highway=Hot

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    Check your air dam underneath your car. That long black lip below your bumper. I serviced a Camaro once and i forgot to install this, oops. The customer came back complaining of the exact same thing you are.
    City=Cool
    Highway=Hot
    Um... there is the plastic that bolts to the front bumper, but nothing that goes back to the radiator its just open underneth. Should there be somthing there? there seems to be screw holes to mount somthing across the botom tho...

Red
    2002 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 02bluez28 View Post
    Um... there is the plastic that bolts to the front bumper, but nothing that goes back to the radiator its just open underneth. Should there be somthing there? there seems to be screw holes to mount somthing across the botom tho...
    Check out this pic. See where it says Trans Am? That black thing is an air dam. Since our cars do not have grills we need these to direct cool air over our radiators.

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by LS1_TA_2002 View Post
    Check out this pic. See where it says Trans Am? That black thing is an air dam. Since our cars do not have grills we need these to direct cool air over our radiators.
    Ok! where it bolts on is where I have those screw holes just no dam, totally makes sense now. Are camaro's supose to have those as well or is that a trans am thing?

Blue
    2002 Z-28

Dang! I was looking though other pics of people marros and all have that air dam on the front! NO wonder I run soooo HOT always on the interstate.
    Where can I find that part? is there something after market I could get?

It must have another name because I cant find this part for the life of me. Ive been searching for "Air dam"
    Last edited by 02bluez28; 05-13-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Red
    2002 T/A

I've never seen an aftermarket company sell one. That doesn't mean they're not out there. I would get one from a scrapyard as long as it's in decent shape. You could also check out the forum's sponsor of GM direct parts. Maybe you could get a good deal on a brand new one. It doesn't have to be any thing special. They're always getting nicked up on steep driveways and dips anyways. Especially if your car is lowered. It's just one of those F-Body things you either love or hate.

Thread Information