NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

Overheating and about to take my own life.

I have recently been having this problem of overheating, but the in car guage reads 210 all the time. I have read that in these yr. models it was common to use (dummy guage) fake. I dont really ever know the real temp I just know that when I get out of the car I can hear it run back into overflow. I changed thermostat with a o.e.m. and now have changed it again to 160 thermo, and even with new 160 thermo it is reading 210. I have replaced the waterpump, and fan relays, but not really sure how to check and make sure fans are coming on and fan system is working properly. I am begging for help please. Cannot afford to take to pocket digging dealers to fix it.

black
    2002 WS6

under what conditions do you over heat? Have you replaced the rad cap, could be losing pressure.

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

bad at idle, but a little while moving at good speeds. No I have not yet replaced rad. cap Do you suggest aftermarket or a million dollar GM part? I think it could be rad cap now that you say that because when I turn the car off I take about 30 seconds before I hear the preasure coming out of cap, and sometimes worse than others, and sometimes not at all. But this trial and error game is costing me water pump was $160, 1st thermo. $29.99, 2nd thermo. $46.99, and new fan relays from GM $42, and if it does turn out to be a $10 fix i'll be pissed.

black
    2002 WS6

you will be good with a quality after market one. Another thing to check is the front of the ac condenser for a build up of trash that could be blocking the air flow. Also confirm that the fans are coming on. with the the car at operating temp, or a little above open the hood and listen for the fans, they might even run woith the key in the on position with out the car running. Start with the rad cap though. If the fans do not come on check fuses and possibly the thermostat for the fans. You might also be able to check fan operation with a good scan tool but a visual/audio confermation is best.

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

Already checked for build up of trash. Fan thermostat what is that, I heard there is a temp sensor for the computer and the computer is whats turns on the fans, I know there is a temp sensor for the dash guage on driver side of block between cylinders 1 & 3, but there is suppost to be a second somewhere for the fans controlled by computer anyone know where that is. Also already check both 10amp and 40 amp fuse for fan both are good, anyone know detailed instructions for checking to make sure computer is sending a ground to the relays when neccessary, I have a test lamp (meter) just dont know what I'm doing. Also fan relays #2 & #3 plug in both frontwards and backwards can someone look at theres and tell me which way the face or maybe take a pic.

black
    2002 WS6

The temp sensor for the fans is what I was refering to. I haven't looked for it but I think that it would be near the fans somewhere, thats the best I can do.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

If its not overheating while your at a stand still then you fans are probly coming on. Start your car and let it get too operating temps. and see if you hear or visual see the fans kick on. I would also suggest you checking your rad. cap you can take it too a parts store and they will pressure test it. You shouldnt hear coolant goin thru the system. With your new thermostat your comp doesnt know its there so too be honest it probly isnt doing very much good. Fans still come on at preset temp.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Sounds like an air pocket.
    Your dummy gauge will tell you if the coolant is overheating.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

Thanks for all the help, I got new rad. cap today and seems to be doing fine. When I have them tune the car next tuesday should I have them mess with fan settings, I would ideally want the car to run somewhere between 175-180. Also with the computer set to stock settings and putting in a 160 thermo. is the car still gonna run 200-210?

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp you wont notice a difference in op. temps bc all that does is allow the thermostat to open and coolant too flow but the fans still dont come on until stock setting.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Duh. I just noticed the temps you were stating. That's normal operating temp. The stat won't do jack until you have your fans programmed to come on earlier.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

when you go in for a tune, have them reprogram your fans to come on earlier to work with the 160 thermo

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

so the suicide is off then?

NBM
    99 Camaro Z28 LS1

Ok I put on new rad cap yesterday and drove around today. Now that I received all this knowledge from you guys, I dont think that the radiator was pumping water back to overflow because of overheating it was pumping it back because the radiator cap wasnt holding pressure. I always thought the rad cap replacement was a freaking joke but after trial and error it took several hundred dollars and alot of time and all it needed was a $3 rad. cap, unbelievable. As for now the suicide is put on hold. But comes closer everytime SES light comes on. I will keep everyone posted

P.S. thanks for all the help

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Glad too see it worked out bud
    J

Thread Information