Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Ok....need help asap!

Alright, so what started out as a simple spark plug change has "domino'd" into the unknown.

Spark plugs were fouled, so I changed them. Go to crank the engine and nothing. Just turns over but no ignition.
    So I check to see if I'm getting spark, I am.
    I check the fuel rails and I had no fuel pressure, so I changed the fuel filter and still nothing.

Turns out my fuel pump isn't priming or sending out any fuel. So it must be the fuel pump has been shot.

So I order a new fuel pump and proceed to change it out. Same problem....fuel pump is brand new but doesn't primer itself or send out fuel after everything's been reconnected and trying to start the engine.

All of my fuses are good, both under the hood and inside the car, by the door panel. Battery is good and everything else turns on.

My only thing is wondering if there is a wire that has been snipped or something and has cut off power to the fuel pump.

Extra info:
    this started up after we had consistent days of rain throughout here in Lubbock and happened after I came home from work, driving through the rain. So maybe something got wet? But it's been REALLY hot the past 2 days and have thoroughly let it sit in the sun and dry everything out.

Noticed my Service Engine light is on, NOT the Service Engine Soon light BUT the Service Engine light, located by the lower left of the Tachometer.
    Last edited by SajoR; 07-13-2010 at 01:18 PM.

Silver
    2000 z28

change the pump or the sending unit and pump? the sending unit fails instead of the pump sometimes

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Check to see if you're getting voltage to the pump. I would also check the ground wire, if it doesn't have a good ground it won't work.

Silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Check to see if you're getting voltage to the pump. I would also check the ground wire, if it doesn't have a good ground it won't work.
    x2 on the ground i did one on an s10 and the ground for the tail lights was undone and it still made the pump not come on

red
    2000TA

check pump relays also.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    X2 You might have broken it off

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp, sounds like your not getting power to your pump, ensure your relay is good and functioning, also check your grounds and since your were in the engine bay, take a look around at anything you could have bumped or knocked loose, IE Wiring harness going into computer.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    check pump relays also.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Yepp, sounds like your not getting power to your pump, ensure your relay is good and functioning, also check your grounds and since your were in the engine bay, take a look around at anything you could have bumped or knocked loose, IE Wiring harness going into computer.
    J
    what these guys said.....start with checking for 12volts at the pump. Do you hear the pump come on and try to prime or is it not coming on at all? If not at all I doubt it's getting voltage so I'd start by swapping that relay around with a fan relay or something and try to get it to prime.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    Noticed my Service Engine light is on, NOT the Service Engine Soon light BUT the Service Engine light, located by the lower left of the Tachometer.
    Did you mean to say Service Vehicle NOT Service Engine Soon?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

May be a dumb (?) but did you remember to plug the harness back in, inside the "hump" behind the rear driver side passenger seat? Also was it the splice in type pump? May have pulled apart putting the tank back in possition.. Just guessing tho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Sorry Cutlass, yes I meant to say Service Vehicle not Service Engine light......I was in a rush to try and post this up and have barely come back and checked everybody's feedback.

As far as the pump itself goes, it was a whole unit type pump, not the kind you splice in, but the kind that you unplug the wires and hoses, pull out old pump and put in new pump and reconnect everything, which I have gone over several times to ensure they are properly and snuggly connected (they are).

No, the pump does not turn on at all nor make any noise.

I checked relays and fuses, everything is fine, nothing was bumped into or shaken loose like a wiring harness and I am getting power through the fuse/relay boxes.

I checked the ground at the pump and it is also intact and seems to be in good shape.

So I checked the power to see if it's getting any with a voltmeter and it's not. So my next step is going to have to trace back the wiring from the fuel pump all the way back, checking at intervals with my voltmeter to see where the power finally pops up again. Then hopefully, I'll know exactly where the short is or whatever it is that is causing this.

If I still can't find anything after that, I may have just received a non-working pump.....

Just sucks cause I have work AND school and have been without a car for over a week now and I hate depending on other people for my transportation. I'll try to get it done tomorrow guys and let you know if I have any luck.

I really want to avoid having to take it to a mechanic mainly because I'm strapped for funds as it is with summer courses and books having just been purchased but I need my vehicle running again.

So anybody else who might have an idea or something for me to check out, let me know please.

White
    2000 camaro

Didn't you solve your problem technically? You said that you're not getting power through the wiring, correct? Did you ever hook the pump up directly to a power source when it was out of the car? I think that would be the only way to rule out the fuel pump. But if the pump isn't getting power even a good pump isn't going to help you. Haha.....

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

your issue here is power related to the pump. You need to really recheck everything including the fuel pump fuse and the relay. You can remove the fuel pump relay and hard wire (simply put a small piece of wire in the terminals) the pump to hear it working but you need to know which wires are the power line. If you hard wire it and you still don't hear it then you have an issue with the wiring and/or ground. If you put a new relay and still don't work after confirming that it works by hard wiring it then you must likely have an issue with the signal going to the fuel pump relay.

Don't get into checking the pump or swaping it again until you get power to the top of the fuel pump. I have a feeling that your old fuel pump is fine.
    keep us posted

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    Sorry Cutlass, yes I meant to say Service Vehicle not Service Engine light.......
    I figured
    Do you have any of the connectors that run over the passenger side wheel well unplugged? There are a couple important fuel pump relay wires that run through those. Also the relay ground is on the back of the LH cylinder head. Do you have any reason to suspect any of this stuff?
    Also a scan for codes might help also. Post up the code numbers if you get any

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Yeah, that's what I figured as well.....but here's the weird part. Ever since the Service Engine light came on and the fuel pump lost power, I've hooked up my OBDII Scanner and it won't connect to the car. It keeps telling me that a connection cannot be established. Like the computer isn't working right?!

I'm going to end up having to call one of my buddies with a LS1 tuner program to see what he can tell me or help me out.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^right, could very well be related. Go over all your fuses again, PCMs have more than one, and that could be the whole issue. Find out why the "no communication" for the scanner, usually it is a fuse somewhere. It would help if you had a wiring diagram for engine performance, that would tell you where all the wires go to and where all the fuses are.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Here's a schematic
    Click for full size

98 Formula
    06 duramax

first thing is to check your cig lighter fuse.....that's the fuse that the OBD 2 port is on.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Ok guys here's an update......

I hard wired the fuel pump and ran it for a split second up to three times to verify that it is not the fuel pump. So fuel pump works and this is not the issue.

I have checked ALL fuses and relays and there is no bad fuse or relay anywhere on these. This includes the cigarette lighter fuse, which is ok and I am still unable to get my OBD II reader to connect.

I have traced back all the wiring from the fuel pump itself up to the engine block and all wiring and wiring harness' are ok. No cuts, tears, melted wires or loose connections.

I checked connections over the passenger wheel well towards the PCM and everything is nice and tidy, no loose connections, cuts, tears or anything.

I checked the ground connection behind the driver's side head and it is snug and tight, not loose.

I am still not getting the fuel pump to power on/turn on. >=(

Anybody have any ideas where else to check? I am convinced it is a ground somewhere, but have no clue as to where else to look? I have checked all grounds in the engine bay that are easy to check and inspect and they are fine. Have not looked at grounds that are located underneath the car, if any.

Somebody please help, if any available.

I do not have the funds to take this car in to a shop and get charged a ridiculous amount per hour for labor.
    Last edited by SajoR; 07-21-2010 at 12:59 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Is there a fusible link for any of the computer or fuel pump power? also make sure your battery connections are tight.

Thread Information