silver
    2000 WS6

Oil runs low before oil change is close to do

Hey guys i was just curious. I do not drive my car real often. For some reason I can get my oil changed about about 1500 miles after my low oil light will come on and i will have to add more Mobil 1 10W-30. I didnt know if this was just because i do not drive it much or if i could have a leak somewhere or what. I do not have oil on the ground anywhere where i park my car and there is no oil showing up in my antifreeze or is this normal?
    thanks
    hatws6

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

How low is it after 1500 miles....you say you add some but you have to be more specific. After 2000mi I usually have to add a quart..LS1's are known to use a little oil. Do the catch-can mod and you'll consume a lot less oil inbetween changes. The mod is basically a can in the pcv line that catches the oil before it goes into the intake manifold...do a search on here or ls1tech to find out how to do it.

maroonZ

Same problem

I have noticed the same thing.

Every 800-1000 kms I have to add about 1/4 quart.

No leaks of any sort. I was a little worried but I guess that is about normal.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

It's all about low tension oil rings. Newer cars have lower tension rings so that you don't have as much pressure on the cylinder walls and you can run an engine for significantly more miles without wear on the walls. It is natural to consume a little oil, especially at high rpm -that's why LS1s are know for needing a little, these thinge LIVE over 4 grand right? lol The harder you drive it the more it will consume, that's how it works and it helps prolong engine life. Don't be too fooled though, it's hell on cats. . but who has those anymore anyways. . . . .

pewter
    1999 Z28

Do you do the change yourself? If you go to a jiffy lube or something, beware. One thing that occured to me is that the shop isn't putting enough oil in at the time of the oil/filter change, so you're needing to top off a lot sooner than you should have to. I usually do my own oil/filter changes, and I need about 5.5 quarts, depending on how well i drain the pan. But the few times I've gone to a shop, they only charge me for 5 quarts, and when i check the dipstick...sure enough, it's right at the minimum level.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Yeah I forgot about that, all these old guys say "350 eh? 5 quarts, been that way forever" hmmmmm, cause the LS1 is just like old school 350s in every way right?. . .no one realizes it's 5.5

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I put in 6 quarts w/filter....5.5 shows 1/2 quart low on dipstick. Do the catch can mod for the love of god...it works I tell you. Also most ls1's have piston slap on cold start-up...this can also consume some oil...all the little things add up.

Thread Information