Thread: Oil Pump O-Ring

Navy
    1998 Trans Am

Oil Pump O-Ring

Just wondering if this is a hard job to do yourself,and how would u rate this job?? I have low oil pressure and now theres a ticking sound,so after searching this forum,i'm assuming its the pump or the o-ring.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

well id say it would be fairly difficult as you have to drop the k memeber to do this, i think

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the oil pump isn't that bad and you don't have to drop the k-member. You can get to it by taking the water pump and front cover off. you'll also have to pull the balancer pulley. How many miles on the car and what exactly makes you think it's the o-ring? Usually the o-ring is messed up on a cam install when putting the o-ring back on. What's your oil pressure look like? I'd wonder about a spun bearing before the o-ring on a stock engine.
    Can you describe where the ticking sound is coming from? Does it sound up top on the engine or down low?

Navy
    1998 Trans Am

It has about 150,000 on it and like I said just after doing some researching on this forum i was just assuming that that was a possible problem. As far as the oil pressure,when I first heard and noticed the ticking it was REALLY low like right above 0,but since sitting in the garage and i started it,it was right at 40,but the needle was flickering. The ticking/tap sounds like its more at the top,not bottom

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I guess it could be the pump itself on the way out. I definitely wouldn't be running it until you get it figured out. If the knock was lower on the engine I'd say spun bearing but I guess it could just be the pump itself. The o-ring isn't completely out of the question but I'd put it last on my list. I think the pump would be the first thing I'd look at. Of course while you're doing the pump put a new o-ring on it.
    You can go to LS1howto.com and look at the cam swap write up and it'll give you an idea of what it takes to pull the pump. It's not really that big of a job, just nuts and bolts.

Navy
    1998 Trans Am

I've looked at the LS1howto write up,and the only thing that looks kind of tricky to me is that pulley, is it??

Thread Information