Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Oil pressure spiking? help

Hey guys i think my oil pressure is a little on the high side. The needle is a little below 60 psi, and i thought normal was in the 40's...It a 2000 ws6 wiht 18k miles and i don't understand how somehting could be wrong... Is that normal oil pressure? thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Could be. Depends on the weight of the oil...the type or brand of the oil....the filter....the temp....I run 70lbs with Royal Purple Racing 41 in a 402 with a Lingenfelter oil pump and a 7 1/2 qt sump....post up with the specifics I outlined above and lets have some folks compare for you.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

oil brand is mobil one synthetic, at least thats what the guy told me...i just got the car this summer, so i dont know about the filter brand. The oil pressure starts at about 60 when you turn on the car then drops to about 55 when it warms up more. I am not sure about the wieght, but since the car is in upstate NY where its starting to get colder now, sould i switch it to a lighter wieght oil? and if i do nothing now what can be the reprocussions. The car is basically stock too.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

What weight is in there now? You should be running a 0-30/10-30 or 5-30 with a AC Delco filter.....I'd change oil and filter if I didnt know what was in there nor how long it had been in there....but your OP sounds within spec....

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    Hey guys i think my oil pressure is a little on the high side. The needle is a little below 60 psi, and i thought normal was in the 40's...It a 2000 ws6 wiht 18k miles and i don't understand how somehting could be wrong... Is that normal oil pressure? thanks
    At idle it should be in the 30's-40's...but at 2000rpm it should be in the 50's easy when warm

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I would change the oil and AutoRx that thing...get a clean start on life with your new car....follow the instructions...use dino oil during the cleaning and rinse phase....
    http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

didnt want to start a new thread so....my pessure is as follows

cold start 50-60psi
    operating temp 40psi
    cruise 40-45 psi
    high way 55-60psi

i have noticed that after ive been driving for a while and i reach a stop, the pressure will fluctuate between 30-35psi. but as soon as i give it gas it it goes right back up to 40psi

is it normal??

01 z28 55k mobil1 10w-30

That's pretty close to what mine does, rarely if ever, does it drop below 40 under any conditions. My in gear idle is set higher cause of my stall though, might be the difference.

pewter
    2001 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    That's pretty close to what mine does, rarely if ever, does it drop below 40 under any conditions. My in gear idle is set higher cause of my stall though, might be the difference.
    no, it only does it while im at a stop, and not all the time either.for example tonight i went to the gym and when i went to get back inthe car i turned it on let it sit for 10minutes i drove a mile and hit a light and the pressure went down to 30-35psi and went back up to 40psiwhen i gave it gas. went to a friends house for about 1hr , got back in my car turned it on drove the 5miles to my house. i hit 3 lights and not even once did it go below 40psi.

Thread Information