Pewter
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Oil pressure question on 2002 Z-28 Camaro

Hi Everybody,

Just got a 2002 Z28 Camaro. Did a mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-30 oil change, with K&N air and oil fitler. Then I put in valvoline complete fuel system cleaner and filled up with shell v-power 93 gas. Now my oil pressure needles stays between 45-80 psi, but when I turn the car off, the needle doesn't go down and stays on the 45 psi level. Any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks
    -MATT-

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

After a while does it go down?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

General rule of thumb regarding oil pressure is 10psi for every 1000 rpm. The oil pressure gauge in the '99-'02 F-bodies is not a mechanical gauge, so the reading isn't exact. My car usually stays around 40psi at idle until it warms up, then drops to around 30psi after it has been driven a bit (at idle, that is). As for your gauge not going back to 0 when you shut the car off, I believe that's normal, as mine does it, also. If you shut the engine off then turn the key on, it should drop back to 0. So long as your gauge moves when you increase your engine rpm's, you're okay (unless the reading is very low).
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Pewter
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    After a while does it go down?
    Not sure. I know after an hour id didn't.

I know it never goes down under 40psi, even when I'm driving. So I hope it is ok.

Thanks again guys for the replies.

-MATT-

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

What does it read with Key On Engine Off (KOEO)?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro352002z28 View Post
    Not sure. I know after an hour id didn't.

I know it never goes down under 40psi, even when I'm driving. So I hope it is ok.

Thanks again guys for the replies.

-MATT-
    My 02 SS stays above 40 psi all the time. I run 80 psi when cold at 2000 rpm and then when it get warm I drop to 65 - 70 psi at 2k and 45 psi in traffic at idle and hot. I do not think the GM oil pressure gauge is very accurate so just make sure the oil is full, clean and no unusual noises coming from the engine. The OPSU may also be an issue.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Pewter
    2002 Z28 Camaro

The needle goes down to 0 when I do that, then back up to 40 psi or higher when I start the engine and driving.

Someone told me the oil sending unit, do you think the change to synthetic oil would have something to do with it?

Thanks
    -MATT-

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The needle goes down to 0 when I do that, then back up to 40 psi or higher when I start the engine and driving.

Someone told me the oil sending unit, do you think the change to synthetic oil would have something to do with it?

Thanks
    -MATT-
    I would start by changing the OPSU first. Not an easy job, you may need to pull the intake to get at it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thanks
    -MATT-
    Sounds like perfectly normal oil gauge functioning, and oil pressure readings.

The gauges are not active with the ignition off, only when it is on. These are not purely mechanical gauges, maybe that's whay you're used to?

My oil pressure reads about 35-40 when at hot idle, and goes up to 65-70 at higher RPM when hot, and I've always used 5W30 synthetic oils.

Any reason why you are using 10W30? Hot summer months maybe? Even then, stock GM for the LS1 is 5W30. But if you wanted a heavier
    weight oil, you should be using a 10w40, since that would be thicker at higher temps.

Thread Information