Black
    '99 SS

Oil Pressure Problem

Usually when the car is cold the oil pressure will jump higher than normal (around 60 while 40 was normal) I get the check guages light for a few seconds and the oil pressure drops but is still a bit above 40. I do have a catalytic converter that is bad and am wondering if that is the reason for my oil pressure or something else. I am working now on getting LTs and ORY (ORY from LS1.com member) to fixed my cat problem and am wondering if it will fiix the oil pressure problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Tonik

98 Formula
    06 duramax

oil pressure is never nothing to play around with although 40 psi is pretty decent pressure. Any unusual noises coming from the engine? If everything seems like it's fine I would maybe change out the sending unit first since it's cheap.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Usually when the car is cold the oil pressure will jump higher than normal (around 60 while 40 was normal) I get the check guages light for a few seconds and the oil pressure drops but is still a bit above 40. I do have a catalytic converter that is bad and am wondering if that is the reason for my oil pressure or something else. I am working now on getting LTs and ORY (ORY from LS1.com member) to fixed my cat problem and am wondering if it will fiix the oil pressure problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Tonik
    My oil pressure reads almost 80 when cold, and wot it does it to..normally its high on mine such as 60. I had a clogged cat and have replaced it so I dont think thats the cause, cause mine still does it, although I bascially dont have cats. I am planning on replaceing my oil sensor when I do my intake...Ill let you know if it changes. (dont know when I am doing this thou.)

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post

Thanks
    Tonik
    I did the sender, it seems better but still peggs 80 when cold or i get down on it. hope this helps. I think this will fix your problem but not mine, my car has other issues which is prob why it goes to 80+ mine even does it at idle for no reason...

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

A bad sender can read high or low, or sporatically in between. I consider 40 to 60ish good oil pressure. With no leaks and minimal wear, your oil pressure should climb with the rpms. ROT is 10 psi per 1k rpm, minimum. My jeep has a high flow oil pump, a high pressure filter and is freshly rebuilt; usually runs slightly over 50psi and rises with the rpms.

if you are seeing high oil pressure all the time you need to change the sender. on the oter hand, really low oil pressure can be a sign of oil breaking down.

Thread Information