Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Oil pressure needle bouncing around

My oil pressure gauge is bouncing around in a way that it had never done before. It is moving back and forth very quickly, but not the entire range of the gauge. Kinda like a 1/4 inch back and forth. This is on a 2002 WS6 Trans Am. Any ideas what might be causing this? All the other gauges are working normally.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

either sender / gauge servo Problem, or loose connection....

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Have you recently done any work to the motor? or is it still stock? I had this happen after a head and cam swap and it turned out to be a incorrectly seated oil pump O-ring.

99' 30th Ann TA

what #'s is it staying between?

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Engine is still stock, and no, I have not done anything recently. I did just get the car repainted and put in a new radio. But, it was working fine after that. I just noticed this yesterday.

As for the range, I'd have to look again to see what range. I think it was in the normal range, it just acts like it has the shakes. :P

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

mine started do that a little more then usually..but i broke the shit out of my opsu and replaced it and am working out alot of weird things after my ls6 intake manifold

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Did replacing the oil pressure sending unit fix your oil pressure shake issue?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by austinWS6 View Post
    Did replacing the oil pressure sending unit fix your oil pressure shake issue?
    not really...i just fixed it not long ago..it still moves..but doesnt bounce...my opsu broke durring the ls6 install ..so my needle wasnt moving at all stayed at 0 ...but after i replaced it it jumped a little but now it is much more stable..oddly enough

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    not really...i just fixed it not long ago..it still moves..but doesnt bounce...my opsu broke durring the ls6 install ..so my needle wasnt moving at all stayed at 0 ...but after i replaced it it jumped a little but now it is much more stable..oddly enough
    Did the wire to the sending unit have any damage? I just did a fast swap for one of my buddies in a local Fbod club that Im in and when he pulled the intake out he snagged the wire and tore off some of the insulation, which caused his bouncing issues. A little electrical tape solved his problem.

98' trans am

no it looked good..i didnt torque down the opsu enough so i was getting a oil leak...my needle is much more stable now that i torqued it down...and now it chills out at closed loop at 40-43psi and durring cold 60psi..i couldnt tell you what it would be at if i went wot before closed loop...i dont do that

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

austin,....is it bouncing when you are sitting at a light or is it bouncing while you are accelerating?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

mine moves a little bit when i am sitting at a light, but only maybe 4-7 psi..then once i get on the gas it all even from there. I would say that if its a massive fluctuation while at a light or during accel then you sending unit is bad....or may be the actual pump

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

It's bouncing almost all the time. I bought a new oil pressure sending unit and I'm going to try that this weekend...

Silver
    98 Trans Am

mine does that WAVING thing bad. what is it??? did you ever figure it out??

Black
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I think replacing the oil pressure sending unit will fix it. But, I've been too busy to replace mine yet. It's on the backside of the intake manifold near the fire wall. I have the part, just no time so far...

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Did anyone confirm that this issue is a bad pressure sending unit? My car does this almost all the time. Doesn't matter if it's in park or in gear but it seems to be more drastic when it's in gear. Gauge bounces all over the place. Doesn't seem to be burning or leaking oil. Could it just be the gauge that's bad? If it's the sending unit, how difficult is that to replace?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by halosix90 View Post
    Did anyone confirm that this issue is a bad pressure sending unit? My car does this almost all the time. Doesn't matter if it's in park or in gear but it seems to be more drastic when it's in gear. Gauge bounces all over the place. Doesn't seem to be burning or leaking oil. Could it just be the gauge that's bad? If it's the sending unit, how difficult is that to replace?
    well mine has settled down since i last posted...i would think its the opsu ..its easier and cheaper to fix then a gauge. the opsu is behind the intake manifold
    ..if you get a opsu socket that fits it..you dont need to remove the intake to change it...so its a relatively easily fix

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Mine bounces around too. I changed the OPSU and that helped some, but it still bounces around at a light or during idle. Its not a drastic bounce, probably 5 PSI if that. I bought a new oil pump that I will probably swap out soon, but I don't know for sure what the cause is.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Mine bounces around too. I changed the OPSU and that helped some, but it still bounces around at a light or during idle. Its not a drastic bounce, probably 5 PSI if that. I bought a new oil pump that I will probably swap out soon, but I don't know for sure what the cause is.
    yea its normal i am pretty sure..since oil pressure is resistance and is never at a constant level unless the car is off

Thread Information