Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Oil Pressure Dropped to 0

I was driving a few hours ago and suddenly the check gages light popped on and I watched as my oil pressure went from 60 to 0. The car shut off and I had to push it into a parking lot. I checked the oil and it was low(not too terribly), so I walked to Walgreens and bought some but that didn't help at all. It cranks and will turn over sometimes, but immediately shut off. The oil pressure gage will increase the more I crank it, but it never hits 60 and will pretty much immediately drop back to 0. I've read that it could be the fuel pump, the fuel pump switch, or oil pressure sender. What's the best guess as to what's wrong and where are these located? I have the 3.8L V6. Also, how difficult are they to replace?

More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

Dont try to start it anymore. It sounds like an oil pump problem, or a oil sneding unit maybe... You need to be more descriptive though. Did it miss or make any noise before it died? Did it seem to have a loss in power before it died?

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

There was no problems at all before it died. No loss of power, no miss. I was driving coming to a stop light started braking, then the check gages light lit up and the oil pressure dropped to 0 and the engine shut off.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Almost sounds like it quit running as you braked and that's what dropped the oil pressure. If you have pressure building while cranking, it doesn't sound like an oiling issue. I'd start with the fuel system. Get a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and turn the ignition on. Check the pressure then and again while cranking.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

I went over to my car just a few minutes ago to push it to the Midas I broke down next to. I decided to give it one more try at starting it, and it started right up and I was able to drive it to the Midas. They're currently running a diagnostic on it and the best guess is definitely a fuel issue now. There was defnitely no warning that this would happen.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Ugh, good luck with Midas. Much rather would have had you test it yourself then give it to those quacks. Hopefully they find your problem.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Ugh, good luck with Midas. Much rather would have had you test it yourself then give it to those quacks. Hopefully they find your problem.
    I agree.

I think if it started back up taking it to an auto parts store to get the check engine code read. Def. would be cheaper.

Sorry I didn't wake up earlier to advise, Mr. Jack Daniels wouldn't let me, dick.

More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

Now that I think about it could be fuel issue... Probably pump if it just quit. Jeff is probably right... Same thought wish you would be checking this yourself Midas arent any better than you can be.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

The diagnostic came back quick. It's the fuel pump. They reccomend doing everything(fuel pump, fuel filter, flushing and cleaning the lines,etc.) but I'm looking at $1470 after all is said and done, labor and all. I'm going to call on Monday and shop around for it at different places because that seems a little high. But it's not really something I can do myself since I don't have the tools and need my car back asap since it's my DD.

I wouldn't have gone to Midas either, but it was the closest shop within 10 miles, and my car shuts down when it starts to warm up. I didn't really have too many options. I didn't have the time today either since I had tickets to the nhra nationals. I needed a diagnostic fairly quick.
    Last edited by LgndKller20073; 07-24-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Silver
    2000 z28

1470???? thats outrageous id drive to colorado and do it for that much....there hasta be a shop to do it cheaper the shops ive worked at all charged around 600 parts and labor

Silver
    2000 z28

some actually cheaper than 600 depending on vehicle btw

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

$1450 wow OP you can do it yourself for just the cost of parts.

There is a couple of threads on here on how to do a fuel pump install without dropping the tank.

00LS-1 - I used to live in Kilgore still have family there. PM is you want to BS.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I understand you have to do what you have to do... but that's a lot of coin.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It does sound like a lot. Let me work up an estimate if it were done in my shop (GM dealership)
    Fuel pump assembly $685
    Fuel pump labor 4.6 hours x $100/hour = $460
    Fuel Filter parts and labor $50
    Diagnostic fee $70 to $100
    Flush lines?? we don't do that. Maybe they are doing a Fuel Injector Cleaning Service $125
    Grand Total at a GM Dealership with Genuine GM parts
    $1420+tax
    Skip the F.I. Service and its $1295

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I never realized the shop rate had climbed to $100/hour. Other than recall work, it's probably been at least 15 years since a dealership has worked on any of our cars.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    It does sound like a lot. Let me work up an estimate if it were done in my shop (GM dealership)
    Fuel pump assembly $685
    Flush lines?? we don't do that. Maybe they are doing a Fuel Injector Cleaning Service $125
    $1420+tax
    Probably close to the same price as they would be looking up the cost and time out of the same book (well, website but you know what I mean).

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The thing is, I'd be surprised if Midas had a $100/hour shop rate or used the expensive GM fuel pump/bucket assembly. I would expect maybe $75/hour and a pump from Napa or CarQuest which should be about $100 to $200 cheaper... or more.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Fuel pump assembly $685
    $1420+tax
    That's pretty much identical to how the price breakdown went. It was $1470 but that included the $50 for the diagnostic tests. As far as the fuel pump goes, they said they use Delphi. The price markup is pretty ridiculous. But I don't really have the time to wait on it to ship here if I bought it off the internet for $250-$300. It's really a crossroad right now. I can get a fuel pump from Autozone or Advance for like $375, but I'm still going to be paying labor for someone to install it. But the shop won't cover the part and labor for the year that the warranty is good, so if it something happens and it goes out again, I'll be paying labor a 2nd time.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Although I don't think I'll ever cut a hole in my trunk to replace a fuel pump, I'll let you in on this. Some people cut a little access door for the fuel pump and do it themselves

fuel pump trap door for:
    98's http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/photo14.html

99-02 http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

Although I don't think I'll ever cut a hole in my trunk to replace a fuel pump, I'll let you in on this. Some people cut a little access door for the fuel pump and do it themselves

fuel pump trap door for:
    98's http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/photo14.html

99-02 http://www.gonicd.com/intankinstall/...mpinstall.html
    Thanks, I've been looking at that during my google searches. The trap door method. I've heard mixed reviews about it though because even the slightest misalignment of the seal will cause your car to constantly smell like fuel. And since it's my DD, I can't be smelling like gasoline everywhere I go. I'm pretty hesitant, but $375 for the pump and doing it myself is better then $1470....

Thread Information