Thread: Oil Consumption

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Oil Consumption

I tried to find another thread that could answer my question but i couldn't find it. How much oil consumption is normal with a new motor? i have put about 4k mile on the motor now and this is my first 3k oil change (in the first 1k miles i did 3 oil changes). I have been watching the oil level and i am now down about 3/4 of a quart. is this something that is normal for a new motor? i have done the PCV conversion and a catch can. Any insight onto this topic would be great. Thanks

02 SS
    LQ9 408 Stroker ,M6 1LE, LT's, ORY, GMMG, STG2 LS6 heads,248/254 .612/.622, Tubular LCA's, Panhard, torque arm, tranny cross-member, upper and lower a-arms, k-member, 3 point SFC's, Baer 6 pistons up-front, stock rear , Adj. coil-overs,
    12.6@120MPH

81 Celica
    18.1 @ 85MPH

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Less then 1 quart in 2000 miles is considered normal oil consumption by GM's standards. Doing the math, you are using .5 quarts in 2000 miles which is supposed to be ok. Newer motors sometimes use a little more oil at first, then seal up better.
    And generally, aggressive, high speed, high rpm driving usually increases oil consumption.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

thanks, that'll help me sleep tonight

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I drop a 1/2 qt. every 3K, I have a 01 Z28 A4 with 25K (original miles).

I run the vehicle 1 qt low all the time until my oil change (@ 8k).

SteveC

Thumbs up NOACK Volatility

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I tried to find another thread that could answer my question but i couldn't find it. How much oil consumption is normal with a new motor? i have put about 4k mile on the motor now and this is my first 3k oil change (in the first 1k miles i did 3 oil changes). I have been watching the oil level and i am now down about 3/4 of a quart. is this something that is normal for a new motor? i have done the PCV conversion and a catch can. Any insight onto this topic would be great. Thanks
    Oil consumption could depend on the motor oil itself.

Consider:

Click HERE for larger image.

The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions.

So at lest you have one of the better performing oils in terms of evaporation loss with the case of Amsoil 10W-30 (ATM) you just acquired.

Also know that switching between oil brands can lead to a temporary spike in oil consumption until the chemistry of the new oil has stabilized and cleaned out the old left overs.

BTW, thanks again for your order!

CompSyn

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Oil consumption could depend on the motor oil itself.

Consider:

Click for full size

Click HERE for larger image.

The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions.

So at lest you have one of the better performing oils in terms of evaporation loss with the case of Amsoil 10W-30 (ATM) you just acquired.

Also know that switching between oil brands can lead to a temporary spike in oil consumption until the chemistry of the new oil has stabilized and cleaned out the old left overs.

BTW, thanks again for your order!

CompSyn
    Amsoil is all this "new" engine has ever seen and i plan on sticking with it. Thanks

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I drop a 1/2 qt. every 3K, I have a 01 Z28 A4 with 25K (original miles).

I run the vehicle 1 qt low all the time until my oil change (@ 8k).

SteveC
    glad to hear im not alone........

Does hot weather also affect oil consumption?

It seems there's still no standard for how much oil these cars burn. It would be nice to know more. My guess is that most of the cars owned by people here are leaking at least a little oil. I might be stating the obvious, but it can leak from places other than the motor, too.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    Does hot weather also affect oil consumption?

It seems there's still no standard for how much oil these cars burn. It would be nice to know more. My guess is that most of the cars owned by people here are leaking at least a little oil. I might be stating the obvious, but it can leak from places other than the motor, too.
    My vehicle DOES NOT LEAK oil, nor do I have any blue smoke from the tail pipes.

My guess is that the higher 10.5:1 compression, on a aluminum block which is steel sleeved, and getting on it now and then is the culprit.

SteveC

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

You need to keep in mind the aluminum block expands and contracts more than cast iron, so a little oil consumption may be normal with the LS engines. My 02 uses about a quart every 3000, maybe less. I thought cold weather had more effect myself, using more oil due to the "looser" engine from being colder. Just my impression from 8 years of driving the car.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Mine eats about a quart every 1000 miles

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    You need to keep in mind the aluminum block expands and contracts more than cast iron, so a little oil consumption may be normal with the LS engines. My 02 uses about a quart every 3000, maybe less. I thought cold weather had more effect myself, using more oil due to the "looser" engine from being colder. Just my impression from 8 years of driving the car.
    mine is iron block............

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Sorry I just reread your first post, my bad. You seem to have lost your extensive sig somewhere along the way! I was looking at the "stock" designation ones
    3/4 of a quart in 3,000 miles for a new engine is excellent, especially for a high performance- run the snot out of it engine. Normally a new engine will use more oil as the rings haven't seated fully yet so you can actually expect even better numbers as it breaks in more. An iron block LS will do better oil control wise than an aluminum block. Has to do with the less expansion and tighter tolerances available to the cast iron one.

Thread Information