Thread: o2 simulators

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

o2 simulators

my o2 sensors are shot along with my cats and emissions & inspection come up in a couple months. i was wondering if any of you have o2 simulators & if your satisfied. if i can get a pair of sims instead of buying expensive o2 sensors & pass emissions with sims it'd be great. plus once it passes i wanna delete the cats and put em in storage til next emissions so they stay fresh

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

scratch that. sorry for the post before forgot search is a best friend, not goin the o2 route but gettin the rear o2s tuned out. someone said get ahold a frost and mail the comp to him to tune it out. anyone know how to get ahold a him or someone that can and how can i take out the comp? never done it before. or would a local shop be better?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Yes. His SN is frost on here and his site is lsxtune.com

silver
    2002 ws6

sims dont work very well---- you can also turn the 02's off with a diablo

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Check out post #6 here: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105159 and send him a PM. He'll hook you up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

He's actually in Richmond VA so you might not have to pull it depending on how close you are to him.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

thanks for the help guys, i definetly ditched the simulator idea and i messaged frost. i might just drive down to get it tuned, its 90 miles and it might be a little more expensive than shippin in the end but i can go to his shop and see what else he'll have to offer. i don't have any good shops up here and didn't realize he was that close

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    thanks for the help guys, i definetly ditched the simulator idea and i messaged frost. i might just drive down to get it tuned, its 90 miles and it might be a little more expensive than shippin in the end but i can go to his shop and see what else he'll have to offer. i don't have any good shops up here and didn't realize he was that close
    you'll get a better tune doing it that way also.

White
    1998 Trans Am

If your going to tune out the rear o2's and want to look legal why don't you just hollow the cats out. I have my rear o2's done when I had the long tubes and ory and I just go to small inspection stations that don't look under the car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

i actually had an emissions thread started in the external engines section and was going to ask about that... forgot bout proper thread placement. anyways, my cats are screwed now and i was gonna delete em but looked into guttin the present cats for that purpose. is hollowin em just as good as deletin em with a pipe? i thought so, but since you already have done it i'll know for sure now. and also do you have to worry bout emissions with the ory?

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you'll get a better tune doing it that way also.
    i didn't know that, thanks. im new to some of this stuff but wanna do it on my own and teach myself so i need some advice from time to time

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

A pipe and a gutted cat will basically flow the same. The pipe probablly has less turbulent flow so it probably has that advantage. A gutted cat has the free advantage and will pass a visual emissions inspection, if your area requires that.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    A pipe and a gutted cat will basically flow the same. The pipe probablly has less turbulent flow so it probably has that advantage. A gutted cat has the free advantage and will pass a visual emissions inspection, if your area requires that.
    thats what i thought but i wanted to make sure, plus like you said the cats free. yea virginia requires it, this state sucks. you can't do anything. so whats the best way to gut the inside of the cat? i'd rather find out the easiest way from you guys vs do it on my own and take 3 hours while swearing and punching a hole through a wall

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The last one I did I used my Air Hammer and the long rod(minus the wrench) from my pneumatic fan clutch tool to beat the insides to a dust and poured it out.

Other than that I've put the cat in a vise and used a long pry bar and hammer to do the job.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The last one I did I used my Air Hammer and the long rod(minus the wrench) from my pneumatic fan clutch tool to beat the insides to a dust and poured it out.
    Click for full size

Other than that I've put the cat in a vise and used a long pry bar and hammer to do the job.
    thanks for the help. this is the first time doin this and i've heard no cats frees up the exhuast and gives it a louder tone which i want

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

one last question. if i run gutted cats with a tune im gonna need to keep in o2 sensors bad or not to have it pass a visual inspection right?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah the 2 rear o2 sensors have to be left in for visual inspection and it doesn't matter if they are good or bad.
    The 2 front o2 sensors need to be good ones though.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

i thought so, thanks again or all the help to everyone

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

One last note on gutted cats and straight pipe. You can do both, meaning gut the cat then shoving a pipe through it. Different levels of customization choices here. You can get a pipe that fits OD against cat ID and go. Or you can cut a pipe that is just a bit too big (cutting along the pipe, like the seam). You can keep cutting till it comes together about perfect inside the cat. Or let it overlap itself a bit. Either of these mean you are going to have a little more restriction, but rid yourself of turbulent flow.

You can be patient and get real fancy by cutting a pipe (seam cut) to be the same or just a hair larger than the cat. Then on each end of the pipe cut 3 or 4 fingers out so the fingers are all that is in the "pipe-like" ends of the cat, allowing the pipe to flare back out inside the and back to the cat ID on the other side. Bend the fingers in, push the pipe through the cat, then flare them back out. A good bit of work for what, 1 HP or a bit less even.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

hey thanks i didnt even think about that. i might do that, then again the 1 hp vs turbulant flow i might just let it stay gutted

Thread Information