Thread: O2 sims?

red
    2001 formula

O2 sims?

My 01 formula keeps giving the P0430 code and I have replaced the cat and both O2 sensors. I have had enough of it where can I purchase those O2 sims? Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

did you replace up or downstream o2s? you can put sims in

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

tuned off 02 > 02 sims...

red
    2001 formula

Guys I replaced both right side O2 sensors. Where do you get sims? I have done an internet search with not much help. Maybe I am calling them by the wrong name. Anybody got a link. Thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

afterthoughts carries them

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

red
    2001 formula

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    ORION thanks for the link. Let me ask you this will I just need one sim for the after cat on the right side that is giving me trouble or do I need to sim the pre cat and post cat sensors on the right bank? Next question should I do both right and left side cats even though I am only having problems with the right side? Thanks for the help

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the sims are for the rear sensors only. The fronts determine fueling. I can only give you my opinion because in the end do what's right for you.
    I personally would either get to the bottom of the problem or have the sensors turned off with a tune. The O2 sims work for some people but they're known not to be very reliable. They would be a temp fix in other words.
    You say you replaced the cat and the rear sensor on the passenger side? Was it an OEM cat you replaced it with? Your cats are under warranty for 10y/100k miles and if you replaced it with an OE cat I would take it back and have another one put on...wouldn't cost you anything.
    Do you have headers or aftermarket cats? That would change things considerably.

red
    2001 formula

Orion thanks for the info. The odometer is showing 152K miles. Both cats were replaced by pontiac several years ago. I had replaced the engine 3 years ago for throwing a rod thru the side of the block. The engine I put in was from a 2001 Z-28 with 57K miles on it. My daughter has been driving the car to and from college for almost 2 years. The problem with the P0430 started around last November. I swapped O2 sensors and the problem stayed on the right side. I had the cat replaced with an aftermarket cat. The problem went away for about 4 months then returned so I ordered both right side O2 sensors figuring it would cure the problem but no help. Thats the whole story of my problem.You mentioned having the sensors turned off with a tune. Please explain that process? I also may go to the guy that installed the aftermarket cat and see if he will possibly replace it under the warranty. Other than a flowmaster muffler which has been on the car for years the car is stock. Thanks again for all the help.
    Last edited by wnmech; 09-03-2008 at 05:05 PM.

red
    2001 formula

Orion read my above reply about how do you tune out the sims? Thanks

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    sims suck...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by wnmech View Post
    Orion read my above reply about how do you tune out the sims? Thanks
    give frost a call... he could do it for ya... might as well have him give you a pcm tune as well...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Orion thanks for the info. The odometer is showing 152K miles. Both cats were replaced by pontiac several years ago. I had replaced the engine 3 years ago for throwing a rod thru the side of the block. The engine I put in was from a 2001 Z-28 with 57K miles on it. My daughter has been driving the car to and from college for almost 2 years. The problem with the P0430 started around last November. I swapped O2 sensors and the problem stayed on the right side. I had the cat replaced with an aftermarket cat. The problem went away for about 4 months then returned so I ordered both right side O2 sensors figuring it would cure the problem but no help. Thats the whole story of my problem.You mentioned having the sensors turned off with a tune. Please explain that process? I also may go to the guy that installed the aftermarket cat and see if he will possibly replace it under the warranty. Other than a flowmaster muffler which has been on the car for years the car is stock. Thanks again for all the help.

this question?
    You can go in with hptuners, efilive, or even some handhelds and set that p0420 and p0430 to a "no report" error. It just keeps the light from coming on......ever.
    I agree with what Spaz is saying. Frost is doing mail order tunes for $125 and he can take care of that light. You can't buy the tuning software or a handheld for anything close to that. You'd have $80 just in sims so for the other $45 it'd be worth it to have him do it and you'll get a few more HP out of the deal also. Easily worth the money and his turn around time is great. I see the car is your daughters so HP probably isn't a priority. I just look at what you're getting for the money spent. A new cat is probably a viable option also if you find the right place that doesn't try to make a boat payment out of a cat replacement.

Is there anything done to the car mod wise? I'd be really curious as to why your cat failed so soon although aftermarket cats typically don't have the durability of OEM cats. As an example I put one on my truck a few years ago. It lasted ~3 years and came apart internally.
    Last edited by 0rion; 09-05-2008 at 10:37 AM.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    hooah

red
    2001 formula

Spoke again with Pontiac a little while ago they seem to think the aftermarket cat is bad that the guy installed in December so when my kid comes home I am going to have the cat installer replace it under warranty and if problem reoccurs how do I get in touch with frost? Thanks guys for all the input. Y'all are great

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Spoke again with Pontiac a little while ago they seem to think the aftermarket cat is bad that the guy installed in December so when my kid comes home I am going to have the cat installer replace it under warranty and if problem reoccurs how do I get in touch with frost? Thanks guys for all the input. Y'all are great
    either at LSXtune.com or on here through his profile

Thread Information