Black
    2001 Camaro & 1992 Camaro

Not sure if its VAT's -- but V6 No Start..

So,

Long story, but had been having a lot of issues with the car not starting all the time. Sometimes it would crank and fire on first try, then sometimes it would not and I would have to rock the key back and forth to get it to "catch" and then it would start. Last week, I was driving to work and went over a hill, not sure the hill is related, but it died and I couldnt get it started as before with the whole rocking the key back and forth. So, I decided to replace the ignition switch. When I got it all back together, it started, ran like crap, died, started again, died and now I can't get it started again.

One thing to note is the Security light does not stay on period. When I turn the key to run mode, all the dash lights come on and go off as if normal operation.
    I have not put a meter on the starter, but my question is, if the security light does not come on, does this behavior still point to a VAT's issue?

Thanks for all the help, its my work car and i need to get to work..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

normally if it is a VATS issue the security light will be flashing and the car wont even crank. You will not hear anything. Does the security light used to come on or it never has? Is the car cranking(you turn the key and you hear the motor crank)? If it cranks then the starter is okay.

If the security light never tured on you can try the VATS bypass just in case they got rid of the bulb or it is burnt. when the problem is related with VATS the car wont even crank.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-27-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    normally if it is a VATS issue the security light will be flashing and the car wont even crank. You will not hear anything. Does the security light used to come on or it never has? Is the car cranking(you turn the key and you hear the motor crank)? If it cranks then the starter is okay.

If the security light never tured on you can try the VATS bypass just in case they got rid of the bulb or it is burnt. when the problem is related with VATS the car wont even crank.

The starter is not even attempting to engage when I try and crank it, the light does not flash or stay on. I am sure it's not the bulb as it does light up when i have just the key on with out attempting to crank it over.

If I leave the key on and put a meter on the starter wire, should I get a 12V read or does someone have to be trying to crank on it to get the read? If I do the bypass, the picture on shbx's site indicates its for a 95? do the instructions carry over to a 2001?

Thanks for the help... my wife really wants her Silverado back..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

you will have 12v at the starter small wire when someone turn the key to start the car. The bypass with the resistor is the same for all. I used this thread and its the same in my 98.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...pass-your-VATS

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what you're describing sounds like a loose wire to me......

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

good point. how is the battery post cables?

Black

side post are tight.. no corrosion. I am suspicious of the Battery Accessory Terminal block.. the one by the fuse box... it seems a little rusty to me.

I am going try and take the wires loose from it..and wire brush the calbes... hope to not break anything while attempting to take it apart..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i did that post along time ago and it was tight. Took me some time but got it out.

Black

Well... this is one for you to put in the card file for reference ... it was the actual starter solenoid. I had a buddy come take a look and we had power all the way to the starter.. so he got a hammer and beat on the started case and sure enough, it started .. .. but I just traded it for a 2004 Silverado 5.3 short box. The old camaro had some miles on it and had to put it out to pasture..

thanks for all the help ..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

nice. yes if you have power to the small starter wire when you turn the key to crank is a bad starter solenoid. Glad you figured it out.

Thread Information