Arctic White
    98 Z-28

Noisy engine compartment

I have a 98 Z28 M6 that is stock except for an intake, exhaust and short shifter. However, lately the engine is squeeking more. Nothing crazy but just louder and making more chatter than it has been. I checked and made sure everything is tight-it is, but it still is making noise. I would just rather hear the exhaust than the motor. Anyone else have this problem or should I just let it go?

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

does it make a sound like a bearing going out CAREFULLY take a screwdriver to the idler pulley put your ear to the other end does the sound stay the same or amplifie through the screwdriver? Several pulleys in there start there! How many miles are on the car??? Little more info might help but hope that starts you out...

blue
    2000 firehawk

Thumbs up engine belt whine squeak noise diagnosis

with youre hood open and engine off,of course, remove youre drive belt and start the car with the belt off and listen for the noise,if it is gone then turn it back off and before you decide which pulley is causing it spin them by hand until you find which one feels rough and replace it; if the removed main belt does not make the noise go away then also remove the ac belt and start it up and see if the noise is then gone and check those 2 remaining pulleys and spin the ac compressor also to check it; if you still hear the noise with both belts off do not waste a dime replacing pulley and look elsewhere for the problem; good luck!

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

very intelligent - why didn't I think of that suggestion??? Running the motor with no belts for a SHORT period of time will cause no harm no foul. My idler pulley went out on me (between the P/S pump and alternator). But I still have a whine coming from in there - week before the alternator went belly up on me. I suspect the A/C pulleys but right now Im putting a new transmission in an old ford pickup truck I bought for next to nothing to sell for a little spare change. by the way I like this icon... See ya and good luck!

Dude Just Change The Pullies

Arctic White
    98 Z-28

Yeah with 108,000 on the clock I figure its time to change em also...Just need a day off to take care of it. Thanks for the input.

Thread Information