BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Noise when AC is on?????

I have a 98 z28 and can hear a noise that sounds like bearings when my AC is on. The air works great but this noise seems to have gotten worse over the past few months. Anybody have any idea what it could be? Could it be the compressor? Is there anything I can do or just deal with it till something goes out??? Thanks

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

Check the pressure of the system! does it whine constantly when the a/c is on? My 02 whines constantly when i turn it on. I had it checked at the dealer and the compressor checks out its just loud as hell.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

It doesnt whine it sounds like bearings but real loud.

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

check your a/c idler pulley and the a/c tensioner. I tried these first hoping it would be a cheap fix, it was still the compressor

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I will do that. How much was a new compressor and where did you get it??? How much was labor? thanks

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

No new compressor for me! i have to drive around with embarasement until the dam thing quits(the car only has 30k on it!) I think a new compressor is around 500$

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by pilot13blackcat View Post
    No new compressor for me! i have to drive around with embarasement until the dam thing quits(the car only has 30k on it!) I think a new compressor is around 500$
    You are saying the bearings are wore out which makes that noise?? I am thinking the bearings may be able to be replaced without major problems or disconecting the compressor. I guess I will be checking into it. That sucks with such low miles!!! sorry to hear about that!!!

Maple Red
    2002 Formula

If it is bearings they are probalby inside the compressor wich are to difficult to repair. i think you can buy remanufactured for as cheap as 250$ but i stick with gm parts. I would have an a/c confirm anything before any major money is spent.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by pilot13blackcat View Post
    If it is bearings they are probalby inside the compressor wich are to difficult to repair. i think you can buy remanufactured for as cheap as 250$ but i stick with gm parts. I would have an a/c confirm anything before any major money is spent.
    I agree yea I stick with GM parts too or you are wasting money.

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421
    I have a 98 z28 and can hear a noise that sounds like bearings when my AC is on. The air works great but this noise seems to have gotten worse over the past few months. Anybody have any idea what it could be? Could it be the compressor? Is there anything I can do or just deal with it till something goes out?
    It's the A/C clutch, it's on it's way out. Happened to mine about thirty thousand miles ago (very common, especially on 98's). If you pop the hood you'll be able to hear the same sound (but lighter) with the A/C turned off, then immediately become very prevalent when turned on....

Just remove the belt if the noise bothers you that much. Yes, you'll sacrifice air conditioning, but that's why we have windows though. New units are quite expensive, and rebuilding the stocker just ain't worth it. You can always look for a used (albeit good) unit from a car either totaled, or parting out, or simply eliminate it entirely.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    It's the A/C clutch, it's on it's way out. Happened to mine about thirty thousand miles ago (very common, especially on 98's). If you pop the hood you'll be able to hear the same sound (but lighter) with the A/C turned off, then immediately become very prevalent when turned on....

Just remove the belt if the noise bothers you that much. Yes, you'll sacrifice air conditioning, but that's why we have windows though. New units are quite expensive, and rebuilding the stocker just ain't worth it. You can always look for a used (albeit good) unit from a car either totaled, or parting out, or simply eliminate it entirely.
    I believe you are correct. When I lived in Alabama years ago I took the belt off my 84 H.O. Z28 and it was hot in the summer but I could deal with it. Now I live here in Florida where summertime feels like you are breathing in air from a hair dryer and I am a bit older now so there is no way I can live without air here. Its torture and your shirt/ass will be soaked with sweat which I dislike. I guess when it goes out totally I will have to bend over and buy a new compressor.

Thread Information