Thread: no throtttle

red
    2001 corvette

Angry no throtttle

i have a 2001 corvette, today i went to start it-the car will only idol with no throttle response- the check engine light is on-did i throw a code that wont let it throttle-or is it a security issue?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by stsrick View Post
    i have a 2001 corvette, today i went to start it-the car will only idol with no throttle response- the check engine light is on-did i throw a code that wont let it throttle-or is it a security issue?
    If you can take the car to an autozone they can scan your PCM depending on your state
    Your throttle body could have crapped out on you, or it might be unplugged

Blk
    Z06 Corvette

plug the harness back in
    Last edited by VonDutch; 02-02-2010 at 08:36 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    If you can take the car to an autozone they can scan your PCM depending on your state
    Your throttle body could have crapped out on you, or it might be unplugged
    Agree with this..

OP, If you have AAA you may even give them a call and see if they can flat bed the car to a shop.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oh and welcome to the site from us here in New Ken..

NBM
    2002 Camaro

On the C5's, you dont need a scan tool to check codes. Push a couple buttons on the dash and it will display every fault code that is present or has been tripped. Not only that but you can also delete any codes that are present. I willing to bet that a code popped and caused it to go into "limp" mode, try resetting it and id bet that it will run just fine again.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

red
    2001 corvette

thanks for the welcome - i disconnected the batery over nite-hooked it back up this morning - check engine light is off -throttle is working.

red
    2001 corvette

its back-no throttle-reduce engine power is on-does anyone know how to retreave and reset the codes useing the dash buttons?

NBM
    2002 Camaro

On-Board Diagnostics
    This vehicle is equipped with a on-board diagnostic display feature capable displaying and/or clearing DTCs. By selecting specific buttons on the IPC, DTCs are then displayed on the IPC 20 character display unit. This feature allow DTCs to be read or cleared without the use a scan tool. When the diagnostic mode is first entered, the IPC will enter into an automatic display sequence and will display all systems that communicate on the serial data line. After each system is displayed, the IPC will display the number of DTCs (current or history) for that system. The manual diagnostic mode may be selected at any time during the automatic DTC display sequence by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M 5. In the manual diagnostic mode, you can manually select what module is going to be displayed by pressing specific buttons on the DIC. In this mode, DTCs are only displayed for a specific module and will not proceed to the next until requested. Both diagnostic mode displays will also indicates if the DTC is a current DTC (malfunction present now) or a history DTC malfunction has occurred, but is not present now) with a C or an H, respectively. Diagnostics will automatically be exited if no DIC buttons are pressed for longer than 60 seconds.

Entering On-Board Diagnostics
    To enter the Diagnostic Display function perform the following steps in order:

1. Turn ON the ignition switch, engine OFF.
    2. Press the RESET button to acknowledge any warning messages present.
    3. Press the OPTIONS button on the Driver Information Center (DIC) and hold.
    4. While holding the OPTIONS button press the FUEL button 4 times within a 5 second period.
    5. System will first enter automatic display mode followed by the manual display mode.

Automatic Display DTC Mode
    The automatic display feature allow you to read each module DTC display function in an automatic display sequence. Each system module DTC will be displayed for 3 seconds followed by a 1 second pause before the next DTC is displayed in an automatic sequence. If no DTC information is sent to the IPC from the system currently displayed on the IPC, the IPC will display NO CODES for that system. At any time during the automatic display function, the manual display feature can be activated by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M 5 button. The E/M 5 button is used to completely exit the DIAGNOSTICS mode at any time. If there is a communications problem between any system, the IPC will display NO COMM when the IPC is trying to communicate with that system. When all DTCs have been displayed for all systems, the IPC will display NO MORE CODES for 2 seconds then will enter the manual display mode, waiting for manual mode operation.

Manual Display DTC Mode
    The manual display feature allows you to manually select each module DTC display function. The manual mode will automatically be entered after the automatic DTC display sequence is complete, or can be entered at any time during the automatic mode by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M 5 (E/M 5 button is used to exit the DIAGNOSTIC mode at any time). When the manual mode is selected, the IPC will display the MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS mode message for 2 seconds, or until any button on the DIC except the E/M 5 is pressed. After the MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS mode message is displayed, the IPC will display the first system abbreviation and quantity of codes stored for that system, then the IPC will wait for further instructions. The buttons on the DIC provide the following functions when operating the on-board diagnostic feature in the manual mode:

DIC Button Functions
    DIC Button
    Function

FUEL 1
    Previous DTC

GAGES 2
    Next DTC

TRIP 3
    Previous System

OPTIONS 4
    Next System

E/M 5
    Exit Diagnostics

RESET
    Clear DTCs

In both diagnostic modes, systems will be displayed in the following order:

PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
    TCS (Traction Control System)
    RTD (Real Time Damping) (with F45 option)
    BCM (Body Control Module)
    SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module)
    IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
    RADIO (Radio)
    HVAC (Heater, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) (with CJ2 option)
    LDCM (Left Door Control Module)
    RDCM (Right Door Control Module)
    SCM (Seat Control Module) (with AAB option)
    RFA (Remote Function Actuation)
    Clearing DTCs
    To clear DTCs perform the following steps in order:

Turn ON the ignition switch, engine OFF.
    Press the RESET button to acknowledge any warning messages present.
    Press the OPTIONS button on the Driver Information Center (DIC) and hold.
    While holding the OPTIONS button press the FUEL button 4 times within a 10 second period.
    System will first enter automatic display mode followed by the manual display mode.
    Select the desired system to clear DTCs by pressing the OPTIONS 4 button (for the next system displayed) or the TRIP 3 button (for the previous system displayed).
    Press and hold the RESET button to clear DTCs for the system displayed.

red
    2001 corvette

thanks -very informative response- i did exactly what you discribed- i have 5 codes- p1120, p1220, p1516, 1518 and also a c1278, i reset them started the engine still will only idol-shut down and retested ecm with the same codes again????

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Then the computer is picking something up that it dont like and keeps putting it back in "safe mode."

P1120 -- TP Sensor 1 Circuit
    P1220 -- TP Sensor 2 Circuit
    P1516 -- Command vs Actual Throttle Position Performance (TAC Module)
    P1518 -- PCM to TAC Module Serial Data Circuit
    C1278 -- TCS Temporarily Inhibited By PCM

red
    2001 corvette

Angry

do you have any idea where to look for issues- the car has a 3 month old battery- i checked all wire connections, all fuses and relays, could it be a bad sensor or a bad wire? i would appriciate it if you could give me somethings to check/look for !!!!

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Looks like you could have a bad throttle position sensor since its up there twice. The tcs thing is just there from the computer shutting the car down. I'd start with the tp sensor and go from there.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You could also try unplugging and plugging back in the TP sensor and TAC module several times to see if you can clear up a connection issue, if there is one.

red
    2001 corvette

Smile

i bought an actron scanner-codes came up and reset them with the scanner after 2nd reset-the throttle body seems to be communicating after 20 to 30 starts no problems or check engine lights- thanks for all the help

Thread Information