blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

No thermostat?????

ok i have two questions about the thermostat, i recently picked up a 95 z28 and it didnt have one in it. my first question is what kinda damage can be caused by not having one and would the temp guage not work if there was no thermostat?? thank you

black
    01 SS

just depending on where you live, but sometimes with no thermostat it tends to make the car overheat, and others it tend to keep them cooler, i have ran many cars without them..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've never heard of one overheating from not having a t-stat in there. The most you're looking at is the car taking a little longer to warm up in the winter time but since you're in CA and winter out there is only a few degrees cooler than summer I don't think you'll notice much.
    A t-stat is closed when you start the car and is designed to open at a certain temp. Once it's open it'll stay open until the coolant falls below that temp again. Running no stat is the same as having one that's stuck open....just take a little longer for the car to warm up in the winter.

black
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I've never heard of one overheating from not having a t-stat in there. The most you're looking at is the car taking a little longer to warm up in the winter time but since you're in CA and winter out there is only a few degrees cooler than summer I don't think you'll notice much.
    A t-stat is closed when you start the car and is designed to open at a certain temp. Once it's open it'll stay open until the coolant falls below that temp again. Running no stat is the same as having one that's stuck open....just take a little longer for the car to warm up in the winter.
    well ive had a few older chevy/ford pickups, and i have ran them both with and without tstat's and for some reason i had a few of them overheating without a t stat... i know its odd, but i have had my share of vehicals, and i was just saying that it happens.. but they suck to not have one in the winter, the heater takes forever to heat up, and to me its not as warm..lol

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

They provide two basic functions;
    They allow the engine to reach operating temp quickly & they allow the coolant some cool down time in the radiator.

Not having one, or one, or one that is stuck open will prevent the engine from reaching normal operating temperature.
    This can cause poor driveability in cold weather, a sharp increase in fuel consumption, little or no heater output, and accelerated blowby and ring and cylinder wear & possible overheat problems.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

it overheat because it is flowing to fast through the system and doesnt allow time for the water to dissapate the heat

Thread Information