joel.sloan@yahoo.com
    2002 camaro

Exclamation NO high speed cooling fans

Let me start from the beginning. I own a 2002 Camaro SS. I noticed the car was above the 220 degrees mark on the temp. so i flushed the coolant and everything is fine. Un-noticed by me was the fact that the car running hot was not the reason my A/C did not work. I figured it could be connected. I ran the car to 220 in my garage last week, and the low speed fans work 100% of the time. The car will not kick on the high-speed fans ever. even with the A/C turned on and the car at 220. (inadvertently the car overheating and my A/C not working was connected) VIA the cooling fans not kicking over to high. I have pinned out my 3 relays, they seem fine and actuate when they should. I have power to the pins and the fans spin, be it only low speed. The A/C pump is turning with a fresh recharge (thought that could of been an issue also). I came here for a last ditch effort from someone who may at some time ran into this exact issue, or something like it. I did notice the first time i pulled my relay panel off one relay was rotated 180 degrees out. is this the same for you?

joel.sloan@yahoo.com
    2002 camaro

could anyone supply a pic of the relay box so i can see if mine are oriented the way they should be.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My recollection is that the relays all face the same way and that you can not install them improperly. I would probe the relay socket for power to ensure that it is not a fuse or wiring issue. One prong should be hot all the time as this is your power supply to the fan. One prong will lead from the relay to the fan harness. The other two prongs will be your activation power and ground for the internal mechanism of the relay.

If you can, verify your actual coolant temps with a scanner. The dash gauge in an '02 is a temp approximator at best. Mine reads 205 degrees no matter what the actual temp is -- as low as 183 or as high as 215 it still reads the same.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Your cooling fans may be operatiing normally. According to the service manual, high speed fans operate as follows:

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature reaches 112°C (234°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1710 kPa (248 psi).

• When certain DTCs set.

Thread Information