black
    98 SS

No Gauges - after engine installation

I purchased a repo SS that was missing the drivetrain. It is a 98 with 6 speed. I put in a complete drivetrain from a 99 SS with 6 speed. Every thing seems to work ok except the gauges do not function right. The odometer does not light up either. The only thing I can think of is replace the wiring in the dash with the 99 wiring. I have plugged in several clusters and they all act the same. Any ideas before I tear into the dash

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

do the lights light up? what about when you turn the key to the on position do you have the check engine, abs, others lit?

black
    98 SS

These are the 4 lights that light up ; service engine soon,check gauges,brake and security. Security does go off after a few seconds. The oil pressure pegs all the way to the right. Amp gauge does not look like it is showing a reading. Looks like fuel and temp gauge are working correctly. I just turned the key on one of my other camaros and nine lights light up upon turning the key.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

just because it's a 99 engine, doesn't necessitate swapping to a 99 harness. unless you swapped the 98 engine harness with the 99.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

check the sender for the oil gauge. when it pegs there is no connection to the sender. do the i interior lights on the dash light up?

white
    2002 z28

soo none of your guage s work, looks like you blew a fuse, its the only red one on the drivers side in the panel replace it. the car still runs right and everytrhing?

. i heard some cases like that but not on a drive train install. try that and let me know. start with all the simple stuff then go bigger

black
    98 SS

Checked oil sender connection , everything OK. All fuses under the hood and in the dash are good. The complete harness was missing under the hood when I got it. So all the wiring under the hood and the ecm are from the 99 donor car. All the wiring inside the car is the original 98 wiring. The engine runs fine.

The oil pressure sensor on the '98 is different from the '99-'02 - that might be the pegging issue.

black
    98 SS

You are probally right about the sensor if they are different . I still have the issues with the other gauges. I am thinking that I am going to have switch the wiring in the dash with the wiring from the 99 donor car.
    I always get myself in these wierd ass situations.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

My suggestion is to get a pinout for the 98 and 99 cars......they are different in the sense of wiring however the senors still put out the same signal so it shouldn't make a difference what oil sensor you have. I'm almost certain it's just a wiring issue you have.......you'll just have to trace each one to make them work.......pain in the a$$ but not too bad......

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

is it doing anything else out of the ordinary? there is a rather short grounding wire that hooks up the the back of the drivers side head, are you sure that and all other grounds are in place with a good connection. that ground will cause your gauges to go loopy and the odometer not to light up but I cant remember for sure if the car will start or not with it.

white/black
    2000 z28

the 98 harness is the only year where the wiring harness is different! so swapping in a 99 harness(drivetrain) would cause problems. if you have the dash harness swap it out, but if you have the 98 engine harness swap it, change to what parts you have that match....
    --Justin

Thread Information