navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

no cats, no problem?

I have a 2002 camaro ss and recently had a catback system put on by my local muffler shop. I asked them to remove the cats but they said it would hurt my performance not help it. Is this true? The owner is a friend of mine so I would'nt think he would bs me. He also said the car would run crappy and sound bad too. Any advice would help. thanks

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You would need a tune to optimize the car to run without cats and not throw o2 sensor codes. That said - many do delete their cats and run an ORY or tru-dual setup. Sounding bad is subjective to the hearer - as in many prefer certain exhausts over others and say that some sound bad. Personally I don't think it would sound bad though.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I deleted the cats and the AIR, installed QTP SS LT's and true duals with X-pipe and a set of MagnaFlows dumped at the axle (turned out 45*) on my 02. It's relatively quiet til you get on the loud pedal.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I deleted the cats and the AIR, installed QTP SS LT's and true duals with X-pipe and a set of MagnaFlows dumped at the axle (turned out 45*) on my 02. It's relatively quiet til you get on the loud pedal.
    I dont mean to steal your thread here but where did you get that x pipe from. Ive been looking for just an x pipe and not a system for sometime now and cant find anything.

As far as that no cats question your car will be a little louder without them and you will get more horse power out of it. You will need to tune out the thrown codes and to get good hp gains out of it.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Unfortunetly your friend might be a victim of bad information.

It will not affect how the car runs nor will it make you go through o/2 sensors.

The 0/2 sensors after the cat will need to be tuned out or have simulators put on so the check engine light stays off. Otherwise its no problem.

That being said, I personally recommend keeping the cats. The performance increase is not worth the extra emissions in the environment nor the potential issues getting your car to pass emission test now or in the future.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

jetaws6: I got it from Summit along with the 2.5" dia pipe.

gnomee: Being originally from LA I know what it means to have to deal with the smog Nazi's. Where I'm at now they only do the OBDII tests (check for codes and gas cap) so I'm good. This particular car is a toy, otherwise I wouldn't have messed with it. My DD is a stock 98 and it still has everything it left Canada with.

OTOH, I did keep everything I took off of the car just in case...

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a 98 TA and deleted the egr and all that when I installed the LS6 intake off a 02 and I run the QTP Lt's, with a ORY, and a slp power flo catback. The new exhaust have the car more power after a tune for the increase exhaust flow and detelted the rear 02's. The only thing os without cats some catback systems het raspy like the flowmasters. Mine is a little louder and deeper than stock at cruising and low throttle, only time it is loud is at WOT and mine isn't raspy at all. My friend has lt's with no cats and a magnaflow and his sounds great, the borla setup can be good as long as you adjust it right or it's loud and raspy as hell.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

This is my daily driver but here in florida there are no tests. If the performance gain is not great then I wont mess with it. I have a flowmaster cat back so I dont want it to sound bad. Thanks for the info

blue
    99 camaro ss

I have longtube headers with a custom built 3 in. y-pipe with no cats attached to magnaflow performance ss catback system with dual 3.5in. tips, and i love it! I just had it put on and now need my car tuned. I just need to find a good tuner that can do that for me here Summerville S.C.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

The cats are coming off today then I'm having a frost custom tune done. Can't wait. Everytime I do a mod to my ss I feel like a kid in a candy store. Freakin addicting!!!! I love it

blue
    99 camaro ss

I'm the same way bro!

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

The cats are out and what a difference! The sound is fucking great and the performance I can feel. I'm pleased with the results. Headers are on the way along with a custom tune. I'm in heaven, well will be tonight when my girl gets off work lol

Thread Information