Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

NGK over Ac Delco?

why do so many people run NGK over the good ol factory Ac Delco? iv been looking but cant seem to find any reasons why?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

price
    im looking for acdelco iridiums and they aint exactly cheap

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

o i know they arnt cheap 6 bucks a pop but is price the only reason?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    o i know they arnt cheap 6 bucks a pop but is price the only reason?
    i've done my fair share of research on it and have yet to find evidence that put ngk above acdelco. i did however run tr55s in my old camaro and my old ta and they worked fine.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I ran NGK TR55 IXs in my old motor. I could have sworn the LSX Camaros/T/As ran the NGK V-Powers.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Just swapped my fatory ac delcos for a set of iridium bosch plugs. $8 each. The delcos looked ok at almost 75,000 miles if that helps.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Cutlass posted some good info in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132722

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

idk i might have missed some stuff but i only saw him talking about NGK's and the differences between the NGK's.... whats the difference between the acdelco's besides the price..... and my car isnt built enough to be changing them every 15,000 miles.... iv always been told put OE factory plugs back in your car....?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My 3800-II came with delco iridiums, I believe it's Denso iridiums for you LS1 guys.

@ ~80-90k I pulled my top end apart and pulled out the factory plugs (delco iridiums) the electrodes were just starting to show signs of wear..

Replaced with the same plug but I noticed the electrodes were a little different design after 10 years .

I liked them enough that I'm using them in my project motor too...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I wouldn't have an issue running ac delco's. Hell, there are several plug brands out there I'd run without a second thought. Not sure there'd be a whole huge difference between any of them.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The post PaJeff mentioned describes the difference between standard plugs (like the NGK TR55) and Platinum tip plugs. The factory AcDelco plug is platinum (and has now been replaced with Iridium).
    My00Z28, your original post asks about why people like using the NGK TR55(I assume) over the stock AcDelco.
    Here's the cliff notes from that post

Now you say, but I thought the TR55s were better? Or if they make more power, they Must be better... Well, in many ways they DO have advantages over a Plat... Forced induction for one! The priority is reliability, through intensity... The std. plug does have more spark intensity period... It has more surface area on the electrode which allows a fatter spark... This is why some notice better throttle response when going from plats to std plugs... The std plug simply gets the fire propagated quicker... But, again at the expense of higher voltage requirement...

Plat. benefits:
    ------------------
    - Last twice as long (60,000 max)
    - Reliable under low voltage conditions (less misfires)
    - More consistent spark path
    - Creates centered flame front to reduce piston rock
    - Gap erosion is less as long as Plat plating is intact... This allows more consistent gap through life of plug...

Plat. Drawbacks:
    ---------------------
    - Retains heat longer at center electrode increasing possibility of detonation
    - Has less spark INTENSITY
    - Because of less intensity, not good for Forced induction
    - More expensive

Standard Benefits:
    -----------------------
    - More Spark intensity gets it on in the hole faster
    - Center electrode being thicker disperses heat better(reducing possibilities of detonation)
    - Less expensive
    - Better throttle response

Standard Drawbacks:
    ---------------------------
    - Lasts half as long as platinum (30,000 max)
    - Spark "focus" is erratic possibly causing piston rock due to un-even flame front
    - Requires more voltage (although NGK V-Groove plugs reduce this because of the smaller surface area on the center electrode)
    - Center electrode erodes faster, and consistency is ever changing through the life of the plug...

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The post PaJeff mentioned describes the difference between standard plugs (like the NGK TR55) and Platinum tip plugs. The factory AcDelco plug is platinum (and has now been replaced with Iridium).
    My00Z28, your original post asks about why people like using the NGK TR55(I assume) over the stock AcDelco.
    Here's the cliff notes from that post
    ok to make sure i got this right the Ac Delcos are going to be best for me and the NGK's are good for spray/FI?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    ok to make sure i got this right the Ac Delcos are going to be best for me and the NGK's are good for spray/FI?
    Yes....mostly. There isn't really a clear, standout choice for a mostly stock engine. They'll both work great. The NGK will give you a strong FAT spark. Thats a good thing for squeezing everything out of your engine. But the AcDelco platinum will work just fine and last 100,000 miles no problem.
    For me, I like to tinker and occasionally pull the plugs out to look at them. So since I won't be leaving the plugs in there for 100,000 miles anyways, I chose the NGKs.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

alright thanks for the help i guess ill just run w/e brand that is in the car now.... it runs perfect so why change!
    Thanks!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I pulled the stock Denso iridium plugs at 180,xxx,still were performing properly,I figured that since I has to pull the plugs anyway to install long tubes I should replace them,installed NGK tr55,have been pleased with them no issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yes....mostly. There isn't really a clear, standout choice for a mostly stock engine. They'll both work great. The NGK will give you a strong FAT spark. Thats a good thing for squeezing everything out of your engine. But the AcDelco platinum will work just fine and last 100,000 miles no problem.
    For me, I like to tinker and occasionally pull the plugs out to look at them. So since I won't be leaving the plugs in there for 100,000 miles anyways, I chose the NGKs.
    this is most of it for me.....my plugs aren't in that long. No reason for me to pay for the longer life when I would never use it anyhow. My wifes durango gets platinum plugs but she puts a ton of miles on it so it's worth the few extra dollars so I don't have to change the damn plugs every year....it's an 05 with 157k on it to give you an idea of how many miles she drives.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I use the NGK TR55 in my garage queen (2001 Z28, 28K original miles), and the AC Delco iridium plugs in my 04 Tahoe (110k original miles).

This maybe old school, I am under the impression that "copper" transfers a hotter spark.

SteveC

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

in my dd, i run the ac delco iridiums.....long life plug so i dont have to fool with it...tr55's in the bird cause the price is nice and i dont drive it as much as the truck.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

auto lites here...

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    autolames here...
    fixed ....

Thread Information