Silver
    2002 Z28

New stall and other mods questions

I just recently had 3800 vig stall, 3.73 gears, LT headers, off road ypipe, new plugs wires put on my car. I got a few questions, first off... the car has been stalling lately when you go into reverse? (only had the mods about 2 weeks). Is this common with stalls and will it go away? Other thing, I am getting a bad rattle in the front end. Its not knock, louder than that, and it happens at idle. Seems like mainly when i first start, or reversing. Last thing, how low does your guys pacesetter ypipe hang? I can cleary see mine when walking up to the car from a distance... this thing hits everything!
    2002 Camaro Z28 A4

Black
    99 SS

your Y pipe hangs that much? man my Y NEVER touched anything, and my True duals never scrape either, just get a custom one made or something man, i got a Custon Y at my house sitting, it will need some modification to fit on yours

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    I just recently had 3800 vig stall, 3.73 gears, LT headers, off road ypipe, new plugs wires put on my car. I got a few questions, first off... the car has been stalling lately when you go into reverse? (only had the mods about 2 weeks). Is this common with stalls and will it go away?

Yes this a very common problem with aftermarket converters, and no it will not go away unless you have it addressed by a dyno tune. The Vig converters are 9 1/2" O.D., opposed to your stock 11.5" or 12" O.D.. With the difference in the rotational mass, you will need to raise your idle in the computer programming, and being your vehicle is 2002, you will have to either delete OR manipulate the Torque Management settings. Your WOT shift points will have to be adjusted also.

SteveC

Silver
    2002 Z28

I guess ill have to have it wait till i get H/C for the dyno tune

My idle "hunted" at low speeds and sometimes stalled after my TC install - increasing the in gear idle made it go away.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Ok, I understand the stalling now. But I am getting this weird rattling sound up front when i shift into reverse. And sometimes just when I am idling, kinda weird. I guess the ypipe could be hitting something.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Listened to it for a bit yesterday, its when i shift into reverse and idle... go slow speeds.. or just sit there, its a real bad rattling sound. any ideas?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

You'll probably have to put that up on stands to hunt down the rattle. My first thought would be a heat shield rattling somewhere but without listening to it that's just a guess. Does it sound side specific? Drivers side passenger side? More in front of you than behind? Just one of those things you'll have to chase down.
    The Y-pipe thing is really an artform. It took me quite a while to get mine adjusted to where it didn't hit on something. Mine doesn't hang down too far. My drive shaft loop is the lowest point on the car and my subframes are lower than my Y-pipe.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Well its only in reverse, and it sounds like its coming from in front of me almost right under me though

White
    98 Trans AM

Mine did this when I had the FLP headers and it turned out basically at idle / slow speeds my engine was shaking some and the headers would hit the bottom of the car. Once moving it was gone. As the others said, put it on a lift, crawl under there and find where the noise is coming from but i bet it is the header / CAT on the driver side hitting the bottom of the car. Good luck man, i know that can be annoying!
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Thread Information