Red
    2000 Trans Am

New member, new car, old problems...

Hey all. So I purchased a 2000 trans am this last Saturday for my dad 2 hours away. Real nice car, 72,000 miles all original. In the last 2 days the window motor has slowed to a crawl and there is a chirping sound from the engine, might be a pulley. I have no mechanical knowledge and no tools. Would you suggest I take this to the local dealer or to any old shop? I'd like it right before I give it to my dad, but don't have a ton of money as the car itself was a big dent to my bank account. Might try to replace the window motor myself, but don't trust my skills for the squealing. Any help is appreciated.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hey James,

Welcome!

You may well be able to use this to get the windows
    working well.....

autotrix passenger window fix

This link from the site will also be helpful, I'll bet?!

All the basic Firebird stickies combined into one thread

As far as any other problems go, post them here first as I, like a lot
    of others, have benefitted hugely from the knowledge kicking around on here!!

Trev
    Last edited by speedyWS6; 03-16-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Anyone know if autotrix is better then replacing with Dorman motor?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

If the motor is not raising the window chances are it's already toast. If you get the Autotrix fix you might as well do the window motor at the same time.

I did this in 2010, haven't had to replace either window motor since. I use to have to every other yr.

Very few things I could say are worth their weight in gold, this is one of them.

The squealing noise is most likely what you said a pulley. You can use a mechanics stethoscope and prob each pulley. May also be a tensioner or worn belt.. If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope you can do the redneck way. Take a long rod of metal and apply it like you would the mechanics stethoscop but have one end near your ear, be careful. You'll be able to hear it if the pulley is bad.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 03-16-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone think the squealing at idle and when I give it gas will be a big bill if I take it to a local repair shop? Might be a pulley or belt or both. I have about $500 to get both these things fixed.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you don't know anyone with tools that could give you a hand? That squealing is probably the tension pulley. You can figure out which pulley is squealing by using a long screwdriver or piece of broom handle or something (hillbilly stethoscope ). Put one end on the block by the pulley and the other end to your ear. When you get near the pulley that's making the noise you'll know it. Don't get caught in the belt. If it's that tensioner it's a really quick and simple job and they're cheap. To get the belt off the pulley you just put a socket on the inside of the tensioner pulley and take the tension off of it and the belt pops right off. Might as well put a new belt on it while you're at it. Just look at how that belt is routed through the pulleys....there's an a/c belt too. Might as well change them all. Use your phone and take pictures before you pull anything off....may come in handy putting the new belt on. I know you said you don't have any mechanical abilities but there's really none required to do a tensioner and belt change. First time knowing nothing it'll probably take you an hour....if that. Never too late to start learning how to work on cars....it'll save you a boat load of cash over time.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks Orion, I will see if I can pinpoint the spot and look up some how to vids. I've always regretted not knowing how to work on cars. Might as well jump right in now.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the good news is swapping a belt and tensioner (if that ends up being where the noise is coming from) are both easy projects and good to cut your teeth on. Just don't buy parts until you know for sure that you're on the right track. If you use a long handle and put it on the block near those pulleys you'll know for sure which one is making the noise. Like I say though....be very careful around the belts. A belt will snatch a finger off in a hurry.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

New member, new car, old problems...

avoid the dealer at all cost is my opinion and avoid any franchise shop like Firestone, sears, midas etc... if you don't have a local guy that works his own garage try finding someone it will work out in your favor 10 fold. I had my t/a at my mecahnics getting some work done and as I picked it up alternator went to shreds a few days later. I needed it in a pinch and midas wanted 330 he did it for 175. you will come to find out that these engines are cramped and hard to reach a lot of things. I just did a fast 92 install and as easy as it is it was more than a bitch to do by yourself. especially if you have bear hands some of the members with slender hands will say it's easy but with my meat claws it was difficult. no offense and sorry for the rant
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

Red
    2000 Trans Am

No prob. I had a few shops ruin a couple lt1 cars I've had. Figured ls1 might be a bit easier to work on. So, anyone fix ls1's near Kalamazoo, MI? Lol

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Check the regional section of the forums and nothing against ls1.com I love this forum just because everyone is really knowledgeable and quick to respond but jump on ls1tech.com they have more activity in the regional forums also if you have an issue chances are on ls1tech.com they've got a sticky on it.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Thanks 98, I'll take a look. I thought I wouldn't find much help here, but you guys are awesome on ls1.com

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site. Looks like you are in good hands already.

Thread Information