Red
    02 Z28 Camaro

New member with a few ?s

Hi Everybody, I've been into trucks for a long time and just got my first performance car, 02 Z28 spd w/ only 8,000 miles on it, still smells new inside and looks like it came right off the showroom floor.

Anyway, I'm want to change the tranny over to synthetic fluid and was wondering what kind everyone thought was best, I was gonna use mobil 1 ATF, but any other suggestions would be good.

I don't like the stock shift knob and want to get another one, does anyone know if Tremec has shift knobs with their logo on it?

As far as mods, I was gonna start with sub frame connectors, possibly from SLP, how much ground clearance would I lose with the bolt on ones?

Other than the casting number on the block, is there any other way to tell if this car might have come with the LS6 block as did about 20% of the 02s.

And last one for now, what are the best lifting points on the car using a floor jack?

Thanks for any info you can provide. This forum rocks!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by NaztyZ28
    Hi Everybody, I've been into trucks for a long time and just got my first performance car, 02 Z28 spd w/ only 8,000 miles on it, still smells new inside and looks like it came right off the showroom floor.

As far as mods, I was gonna start with sub frame connectors, possibly from SLP, how much ground clearance would I lose with the bolt on ones?

And last one for now, what are the best lifting points on the car using a floor jack?
    Welcome to the site!
    Gotta love that new car smell!

If it's an automatic, DextronIII. Synthetic will make your gears go away.

With the bolt on SLP SFC's you will lose 1 1/4" of side clearance. The Y pipe hangs lower than that.

With the SFC's in, you can jack right on the area where they bolt to the body. (I use a hunk of wood or thick rubber)

Jacking points;
    Last edited by rbob93; 06-18-2006 at 05:53 AM.

Red
    02 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for the jack point info...

Car is a 6spd, but it says use Dexron III, so if I go synthetic then I should get a synthetic auto tranny fluid right? What would you recommend, Mobil-1 redline, royal purple, or should I just not bother?

Also what temp do the fans come on in a stock Z28, and does one come on before the other or both together?

With 8K I wouldn't bother changing the trans fluid. The LS1 blocks have a "bullseye" on the passenger side, on the flat piece of the block right behind where the thermostat is, LS6 is smooth. Stock fan temps are set pretty high, can't remember exactly but they're up there. They both come on together, whether low speed or high speed. I have boxed BMR SFC's and lift the whole side of the car with a floor jack all the time. And welcome to the board!

I have the UMI 3 point tubular (sp?) SFC they tuck very nicely, deff. not the lowest point on my car. They bolted up easily and UMI customer support is awesome, I would reccoment them to anyone. Good luck, and congrats on the new Z.

~Alex

Thread Information