Thread: New ls1 owner

red
    2002 ss camaro

New ls1 owner

Hi gang, i recently purchased an 02 ss 35th with 6speed, 93,000 miles. i have a few questions, i just purchased the dynomax bullit kit, which includes converter eliminator pipes, next im going to get an aftermarket lid, i also have a 160 thermostat. i was told not to take converters off, because the engine will not run right/lean. i want it to be loud and it seemed the dynomax bullit kit was the way to go for that. im also assuming i should get a pcm tuner, i assume the diablo one is the way to go? im hoping for like an extra 15 horses with these mods. Will it still run fine until i get a pcm programmer? thanks for any input, Gregg

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Welcome Gregg, the mods you listed aren't too radical to need an immediate tune, although one will be needed in order to take full advantage of everything you're going to do with it. Yes, without cats it will be louder, if you have to pass smog, it's not wise to remove them. Hope this helps you out a little.

white
    2000 Z28

i would try to find a local tuner if you can. not a handheld. handhelds will get you some power but a tuner will have your car running right and still get you power. if by chance you have a reputable performance shop close by go for that. it is a one on one, hands on, tune tailored specifically for what you want out of the car, and your mods. of course if you plan on modding, then your best bet would be to figure out how far you want to go. that is a very important part. most people have a never ending list of mods and a little bit of cash, so for most it is easier and cheaper to install alot, if not all, mods at the same time and have it tuned once. but bolt ons dont really require a tune after install. it helps for gas mileage and power output but is not required.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Hit frost up for a tune. he will get you a good amount of extra ponnies (and not the mustang kind). Check him out at www.Tunedbyfrost.com

red
    2002 ss camaro

Thanks for the input guys! i appreciate it, as far as i know there isnt a tuner shop near me, sounds like it would be wise tho to travel to one tho.

Black
    2002 SS

Put the mods on and see how it runs.
    Check wires, fuel filter, oil, MAF, air filter, fluids, etc to get a baseline since it has 93,000 miles
    If it rips through 1,2,3 and 4th gear keep puttin gas in and try the two cycle oil that Sarge reccomends.
    If you mod more or feel the need for a tune get it later after you run the car a little
    50-100 miles or more if it runs good.
    Last edited by jambofla; 05-14-2009 at 04:24 AM.

red
    2002 ss camaro

Thanks for the input guys, i just got my dynomax bullit kit installed, it is awsome loud, not cats, bullit muffler built into the mid-pipe. My next intstall will have to be a better lid, i dont really want to spend the almost 400 bucks for the k&n cold air intake, i guess i'll just go with an aftermarket lid, hopfully those will still make a noticible difference. If anyone wants an all out loud sound, i recomend that dynomax system, wow. i would assume it must def flow better than the quiet stock system that was on it, couldnt hardly hear it before.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg02 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, i just got my dynomax bullit kit installed, it is awsome loud, not cats, bullit muffler built into the mid-pipe. My next intstall will have to be a better lid, i dont really want to spend the almost 400 bucks for the k&n cold air intake, i guess i'll just go with an aftermarket lid, hopfully those will still make a noticible difference. If anyone wants an all out loud sound, i recomend that dynomax system, wow. i would assume it must def flow better than the quiet stock system that was on it, couldnt hardly hear it before.
    New Lid is mandatory, LOL.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg02 View Post
    just go for a lid. you dont have to remove the whole intake air box. the problem with the stock lid is that it has baffles in it and the aftermarkets dont. smoother air flow. make sure and hit up the free mods aswell.

Thread Information