Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1999 Z28

New guy needs basic info

Just bought a 1999 Z28 (Love it!) My first question is what are the best budget mods for the best horsepower without losing gas mileage? Thanks!

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

lid, exhaust, port and polish throttle body, computer tune

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

Just like GULLETT17 said get a lid. Also LT's and a exhaust system first, and then some SFC's
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

98 Formula
    06 duramax

HP and gas mileage don't really play nice together. Open up the intake side and exhaust side and that'll help. Maybe just start with a lid and catback for now. If your car is an auto forget those first 2 and get a stall first.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

yup like everyone else says intake and exauhst also check out the "free mods" if you havnt heard of those

White
    1999 Z28

Actually I DO have an Auto, and havn't heard of "free-mods". One more question also. Some sites say that all LS1's INCLUDING the ones put in Z's have 345hp however other sites say it is 310 for the Z's. Which one is true, and is it measured at the rear wheels? Just some avid curiousity. Also, with me having an auto, which is the best budget way to go? Stick with the lid? Excuse my variety of questions but man I am just enjoying the hell out of my car! Lol, thanks!

-Mark

98 Formula
    06 duramax

free mods are just stuff you can do that are either free or cost very little money. Check out install university I thnk most of the free mods are there with write ups on how to do them plus write ups for a lot of other mods.
    With an auto it's hard to beat the gains from a stall and the fun having a stall produces. It completely changes the car.
    The HP ratings are at the flywheel and all LS1's will dyno pretty close to one another. There are some that just dyno higher than others but on the average they'll be pretty close.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

yours is RATED at 305bhp .

White
    1999 Z28

So the RWHP would be around 275 you think? Give or take? Thanks for the info bty. Also, do you think a K&N filter plus flows would get me into the 325 range? I know LS1's respond well to mods, but like I said I am new to the scene....

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

to make 325 horsepower at the fly wheel I would probably do an slp cold air kit(includes lid smooth bellows filter and ram air duct) and some type of cat back exhaust

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    free mods are just stuff you can do that are either free or cost very little money. Check out install university I thnk most of the free mods are there with write ups on how to do them plus write ups for a lot of other mods.
    With an auto it's hard to beat the gains from a stall and the fun having a stall produces. It completely changes the car.
    The HP ratings are at the flywheel and all LS1's will dyno pretty close to one another. There are some that just dyno higher than others but on the average they'll be pretty close.
    I still dont understand how it makes the car different ?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    I still dont understand how it makes the car different ?
    you'd just have to feel the difference to believe it. It puts the car in the power band way earlier and keeps it there through shifts. You know how on a stock stall when the car shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 the rpm's drop and it takes a second or two before the rpm's come up and the car is pulling strong again? With a stall that dead spot disappears. The shift extension keeps the rpm's up even after the shift so the car is pulling hard the entire time. You also leave the line a lot harder because the car is up in rpm's and making more power right off the line.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

you'd just have to feel the difference to believe it. It puts the car in the power band way earlier and keeps it there through shifts. You know how on a stock stall when the car shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 the rpm's drop and it takes a second or two before the rpm's come up and the car is pulling strong again? With a stall that dead spot disappears. The shift extension keeps the rpm's up even after the shift so the car is pulling hard the entire time. You also leave the line a lot harder because the car is up in rpm's and making more power right off the line.
    ok that makes perfect sense............how about like when car hits 4th ? that is when I really lose rpm's.....................so I would get better performance with a stall over headers/catback ?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, once you get up that high in gear the gearing starts to limit the speed at which you'll accelerate. Yes, I'd take a stall over headers/catback anyday. Cheaper and you'll go faster.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

well, once you get up that high in gear the gearing starts to limit the speed at which you'll accelerate. Yes, I'd take a stall over headers/catback anyday. Cheaper and you'll go faster.
    ball park price and how hard to install

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I run a fuddle in mine.....$450 but the vig and yanks are much more expensive and top of the line type convertors. I haven't had any issues with mine.

Install time is an afternoon on jackstands with a helper.

Midnight Blue
    98 Camaro

I'm new here too with a 98 z28 any ideas on stalls, where to get them or what brand to go with?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Like I say, I run a fuddle fuddle site

Click on the sponsors link near the top of the page and look through the sponsors for stalls. Keep in mind that you'll most likely need some sort of tuning with a stall and will definitely need a tranny cooler. I would look at 3500+ rpm stalls. I run a 3500 in mine and wouldn't go any lower than that really. Look at ~.5 off your quarter times after a stall so the money spent is well worth it.

Midnight Blue
    98 Camaro

Thanks, also i've been lookin for a chip or programer for my car but it seems like they don't make any for the 98 only 99 and newer models any ideas there?

White
    1999 Z28

I recently sold my 99 Mustang GT before buying my Z and I had a tornado in the stang which helped out with mileage and a decent power boost, especially for the price. Does anyone know anything about how our Z28's respond to tornados?

Thread Information