New to group and need some advice on oil pressure Problem

Hi all I am new to the group and I have a question about oil pressure. I recently bought a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0 L with 200 K on the clock. I have been on the Pontiac G8 forum and have had nothing but back-and-forth conversations I am looking for some closure. I purchased the car where I work which is a used car lot car have a code for oil pressure. A car always started right up and ran good but every so often after starting it and letting it idle the oil pressure would drop and the engine would start ticking. DOD is still install in factory. But it was not that even though everybody and their brother insisted it was a Lifter problem even after I explained the car had 5 pounds of oil pressure. Fast forward a few weeks and I decided to put a high volume high pressure oil pump in. After installing the oil pump the pressure is now 42 to 38 psi while the engine is up the operating temperature. But the weird thing is the car had 20 psi prior to the oil pump every now and then and then would drop down to five and then that’s where the ticking started. I have had the car running for close to an hour five times after the oil pump has been installed and the oil pressure never dropped below the 38 psi. My question is could the car still have a bearing problem that is what I was told is why it had loyal pressure but now that the oil pressure is high some people are still insisting the engine is no good. The engine is quiet as a mouse and other than a loud exhaust you’d never know it was running. I guess my main question is if the car runs for close to one hour five times different days and the oil pressure remains at 38 would you consider the problem solved or would I have a problem When the weather gets hotter out as right now we are still in the 40s where I live. Thanks for reading this long post and I hope you are able to understand what I’m trying to say

No one

Anniversary Red
    2003 Corvette

Just joined but have been shadowing this forum for a couple years. Is there metal in the oil? Does the motor tick when just started up cold? I know you want someone to tell you it is not hurt but if there is no metal in the oil, and it doesn't tick when cold. I would say, Maybe? You will find out in June for sure. But any motor that has 5psi will tick eventually. So I hope you have no damage but.....

No tick when cold it never did just the normal gm piston slap for the first little bit. And I have done three oil changes in the 4 months I’ve owned it and the oil has had no shinny spots in it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll put in 2 cents although not going to help you much as it's just my opinion. If I had 40 psi of oil pressure I'd send it and keep an eye on it. Ticking could've been lifters bleeding down from lack of oil pressure. What oil pump did you put in?

I was more concerned with if it had a bearing problem like a cam billing that I guess is prone for walking out of the block with putting the oil pump didn’t make a difference. Or if it did have that problem would it still have relatively low oil pressure. I am just trying to figure out here in the summertime if this car is going to have a problem as I stated before car has about 40 pounds of pressure went up to full operating temperature before when at full operating temperature it only had about 15 and when the car for a starts now it has around 60 psi

I have a picture of original orange O-ring in the old pump housing and it is extremely loose it just falls into place. Whereas the new O-ring is extremely tight in the new pump. I can’t seem to figure out how to post a picture from my phone

Anniversary Red
    2003 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Danv508 View Post
    I was more concerned with if it had a bearing problem like a cam billing that I guess is prone for walking out of the block with putting the oil pump didn’t make a difference. Or if it did have that problem would it still have relatively low oil pressure. I am just trying to figure out here in the summertime if this car is going to have a problem as I stated before car has about 40 pounds of pressure went up to full operating temperature before when at full operating temperature it only had about 15 and when the car for a starts now it has around 60 psi
    I feel you, IMO I would of cut the first oil filter open and took a peak. I think maybe the pump was the problem after all, I would drive it as much as possible before it gets sweltering hot outside. Orion has a point about not worrying about it but be aware of it. If it gets to tapping again you probably already know what it will take. These LS's are tough as nails and it sounds like you didn't just keep abusing it. Good Luck.

Anniversary Red
    2003 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Cain2020 View Post
    I feel you, IMO I would of cut the first oil filter open and took a peak. I think maybe the pump was the problem after all, I would drive it as much as possible before it gets sweltering hot outside. Orion has a point about not worrying about it but be aware of it. If it gets to tapping again you probably already know what it will take. These LS's are tough as nails and it sounds like you didn't just keep abusing it. Good Luck.
    If it was the mains or cam bearings it would still have lower oil psi and be hemorrhaging oil not holding pressure.

Thread Information