Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

New car, where to start?

I purchased an 01 Trans Am for 11k it had 45k miles on it and some after market mods. The guy had just had a kid and wife was making him get rid of it for what ever reason. His wife is the one that sold me the car so I didn't get to ask what all was done to the car other than general stuff she told me. She couldn't tell me brands or manufacturers.

From what shes told me and what I can tell this car has after market; heads, cams, exhaust, intake, and rockers i think. Was also told it has a stall converter. I was advised the check engine light being permanently on is due to the custom heads.

When i first had the car it had a really bad idle problem. It was fine in park but once you put it into gear it would jump and lunge. It was idling at about 500rpm and would drop down slightly the car would try to counter that by giving it gas. You can see where its getting the jump from. As well as when i put it in gear from park the idle would drop down very low and the car would die, unless I held up the RPM with gas pedal. Well I've ran about 5 or 6 tanks of gas through it now and that stalling as all but gone away but the lunging is still there. I notice it more when i am accelerating and i completely let off the gas the idle goes way down around 4-5 hundred and i get the jumping. If i slowly let of the gas the idle comes down slowly and levels out at 6-8 hundred and acts as it should.

I have a tech i trust that is going to look at it for me when he gets a chance however hes busy for awhile so i am just sucking it up until he can look at it. I'm not sure what all has been done to the car, and Im not sure where to start with this car. Its amazingly fast and fun to drive if i can get away from the jumping every time i pull up to a red light or stop sign. I find myself doing a rolling stop at most stop signs to get away from it. Any suggestions?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

find a tuner and get the car tuned. I would also change all the fluids and make sure there's an aftermarket tranny cooler on there if he put a stall in it. I would call and try to talk to the guy and get as much info on the car as you can. Size of cam, who did the heads, and things like that. It really sounds to me like the car needs a tune from what you're describing.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

I was also told by some other friends i just need to have it dyno tuned. I dont know any dynos in my area as I live north of terre haute indiana. I dont know what they cost but im not interested in driving to st louis or chicago for one. Indy isnt such a bad drive, however. Do you think a dyno is necessary or just a regular tune at a good shop? Also is it common for the change oil light to be on when first starting the car for about the first 3-5min then goes off?

Want a new car

Clear the change oil light by turning on the ignition before starting the engine and then pressing the odometer button in and holding for 30 seconds. This is normal the oil change comes on after 3k mile intervals.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Needs a dyno tune by a performance shop with someone familiar with these cars. Try posting in the regional section and see where people near you go.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

make sure that whoever tunes it gives you a full tune and not just a wot tune on a dyno. Your idle and part throttle is what needs worked on, hard to say what your wot looks like. I would probably hold off on beating on the car until you see what your AFR is at wot.

Thread Information