Thread: New 2000 T/a

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

New 2000 T/a

Hey everyone!
    I just bought a 2000 Trans Am, Black, 6 Speed.
    So far, I've been thrilled.
    It's been only pampered by an older couple, parked in a carpetted garage,(yeah, i couldn't believe it either).
    This car is pristine with 12500 miles on it. Just a few questions for you guys:
    1) Anything to worry about given it's lack of miles? (been sitting too long?)
    2) Tires seem great, and seem to be the originals...should I change them? They look great, no dry-rot.
    3) There seems to be a little gear whine, especially in 6th on the highway. it goes away when I come off the gas. I don't mind the sound, which is very very slight, but I worry about the integrity of the rear-end.
    Other than some of those things..the car is almost flawless...just looking for your experienced opinions.
    Thanks.
    W.

congrads on the buying one of the coolest cars ever made.the whine you hear is the rear.completely normal for these cars.i would have all the fluids changed.one thing to look for on these cars that sat without being driven is rusted fuel lines and fuel rail.i pull the rubber line off at the rail and inspect the inside of the body fuel line.look rust inside the rail too.if its got any rust get it fixed before it ruins the injectors.the cars are very tough so unless you are complete animal it will hold up very well.

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Congratulations!!

That mileage isn't TOO low unless it actually sat for a year or two. Sounds like they just drove it on weekends or during the warm weather months. If you don't know, ask them or get a Carfax. You want to know the history for peace of mind. Just like the above post, change the fluids (the Dexcool may be OK and unnecessary to change) and you are set to go. I recently spoke with a Goodyear rep at their HQ and they said NO PROBLEM with the GS-C tires if no cracking is present. Check especially by the rims. Take them off the car so you can look at both sides carefully. If no cracks, they are fine. You may have a few flat spots from excessive sitting for awhile but they should smooth out real quick once at operating temperatures. If you must replace the tires get the new Goodyear GS-D3 which are just the best for your American muscle car. Tire Rack has them for $156 which is pretty decent. Enjoy the ride and post some pictures when you get a chance. May I ask what you paid with that LOW mileage?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that's what i wanna know...how much. mine's an 00 ws6 m6, but i got it 2 summers ago @ 60k miles for 14.5 [dealer saw me comin....]

Red
    2000 SS

Change ALL the fluids & filters and you'll be good to go.

Congrats !

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
    I got the car from a dealer, with a carfax report, and there is nothing to report on that...all clear. I really yanked the dealer down. They originally wanted 18995 for it, but I brought them WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY down from that (by about 30 percent.)
    The people did drive it, but like you said, on the warm sunny weekends. I spoke to a mechanic (reputable guy), about the noise and he said don't worry, we'll change the fluid and check it all out for ya fer a measly 50 bucks.. sounds good to me. The Dexcool looked clean, the oil is fresh, and she shifts well...Can't find anything at all wrong with it, just that funky whine/noise from the back under power. It's not loud though. A quick downshift and I can't hear it anymore!!
    OTherwise, the machine isn't quite the sports-car I was expecting. It's more like strapping a set of JATO Boosters to your a$$. (Jet-Assisted_Take-Off for those who don't know.) Not quite the refinement of a BMW, but a lot more fun.

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

You did real well!!!

Again it sounds like a super car and a great deal to boot. I'm happy for ya and anything under $16,000 would be a flat out steal with that kind of mileage. Even $18,000 would have been OK. You basically have a NEW T/A and the model year means nothing in this instance! By the way, the owner's manual, if you don't have one, says every 60 months on the Dexcool change, but that's provided the car has some mileage. In actuality, it can last much longer!! If it's clear, and not running hot, you are fine.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Congrats on the purchase-it sounds like a steal! Take it easy on the go-pedal until you get used to it,these cars are incredibly fast.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

parked in a carpetted garage,(yeah, i couldn't believe it either).
    Guess I'm not the only one that stores his T/A that way! My garage was done in Gray/White checkerboard tile and is carpeted on the side that the T/A is parked in.

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

that's funny....yeah...umm...i won't be parking mine on a carpet....is that a crime? hahaha.
    All fluids look good, just the rear-end whine that I'm worried about, and there are some little clunks every once-in-a-while when I go from Neutral to 1st. I guess I'm just getting used to it. I'm very in-tune with cars and therefore fret eveytime there is something new to me....Let me know whether or not to be worried...
    W.

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Nothing to worry about

You'll get used to all the strange noises from the rear of F-bodies. Each day is a new adventure but most everything is meaningless. The whine is quite common and I've been told repeatedly that it is 'normal'. Nothing has ever broken in my 10 years of F-body driving due to the whine. If it is really too loud in your opinion, and since you are new to this F-body world, just bring it in to a Pontiac or Chevy dealer for one of those multiple point inspections. They aren't that expensive and it will give you peace of mind. If the mechanic seems responsive, approach him and discuss the car away from the service advisor.

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

Thanks. I'll be driving it about 470 miles tomorrow to get it inspected and registered in MD. I'm getting that fluid changed tomorrow before the drive down.
    And another little bit:
    I noticed the aftermarket exhaust on it, but never bothered to take a close look....too busy upshifting and especially downshifting (with throttle blips everytime..). As it turns out, this is a Magnaflow, which I understand is quite the system. Sounds great.

black
    1999 Trans Am

Great Deal! How does it start every time? I bought mine this summer from a guy who let it sit all the time and the fuel pump needed replaced which cost me $1200

Black
    2000 Trans-Am

Well, it seems to start right up everytime. No problems so far. I'm still hearing the gear whine on the highway between 55 and 75, and a little whine up under the hood after driving it really hard through some curves, but other than that.....no issues. It's pretty darn fast though.....what a brute of a car.

get used to the whine-wine its just fine!if you can hear the whine...the exhaust aint loud enough!

Thread Information